We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Galapagos Legend cruise review

Corralejo, Spain
Destination Expert
for Corralejo, Canary Islands
Level Contributor
8,268 posts
247 reviews
151 helpful votes
Galapagos Legend cruise review
Save

The only place I could find to put my review of our July cruise was on the TA entry of our intermediary, Rainforest Cruises, who are based in Miami. I don't think that's where many people interested in this particular cruise will look! So I thought I'd link to it here: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g34439-d15606848-Reviews-Rainforest_Cruises-Miami_Beach_Florida.html

The text that refers to the Galapagos Legend specifically reads like this:

Our arrival was rather fraught, as the sea was extremely choppy and we had to get a Zodiac from the airport island to the ship moored some way away in the bay. Frankly, it was a nightmare, especially for my husband [who walks with a stick and is quite frail] . We grew to hate those Zodiacs! We both got better at getting in and out, and it was never as choppy again, but I did get fed up with getting drenched from spray each outing.

We had booked the Galapagos Legend, with capacity for 100 passengers – far bigger than most. We did this expressly in the hope that (a) my husband wouldn’t feel he was holding back the same set of people all the time, and (b) we could choose to do the least strenuous of the choice of visits. In fact, we were assigned to the same group of 16 throughout, and there was just one choice: go, and keep up with the group, or stay on the boat. Not so ideal! We were also assigned a particular dining table. These arrangements were presumably to simplify things for them, but they really didn’t suit us well. We felt a little “herded” throughout as there was a mass-tourism feel to it. However, the crew were all very good and the boat’s facilities were fine. As on our other cruise, all toiletries, gowns and drinking bottles were supplied, along with snorkelling equipment and a carrying pouch each. Bring something to personalise your things as all objects taken in the Zodiac get collected then handed back after boarding.

There were 3-4 trips from the boat most days. Mornings were a trek and then sometimes beach snorkelling time. In the afternoon there was often another trek or a slow Zodiac ride along the cliffs, plus a choice of glass-bottom boat ride, kayaking, or snorkelling off the Zodiac. The schedule was really hectic and we barely saw the inside of our cabin. What with briefings, collecting snorkelling kit, donning life vests, getting feet showered off on return… we felt quite rushed most of the time, with constant announcements all day. The bar wasn’t the place to relax in the evening, as there was a quiz, a photo competition, and a dressing-up play put on.

We saw absolutely nothing of the local human population, apart from the guides, which was disappointing. But I’m sure the flora and fauna of the Galapagos never disappoint. We were certainly wowed by seeing so many turtles and giant tortoises, sea-lions, iguanas, penguins, pelicans and everything else – and so close up that I nearly stepped on animals several times!

Hope the review is helpful to some here.

6 replies to this topic
Boston...
Level Contributor
228 posts
38 reviews
31 helpful votes
1. Re: Galapagos Legend cruise review
Save

Thank you for your review. My family was on one of the Legend's smaller sister ships, the Coral I, a few years ago, and we were never assigned to a group or dining table, so it is interesting to hear that they do that on the Legend. I am sure your review will prove helpful to some people considering this ship. Sorry to hear that your cruise was kind of a mixed bag! I am also sorry you didn't get a chance to see any of the human population, although presumably you could have understood that from your itinerary? Some people choose to spend a few nights in one of the towns, either before or after their cruise. I had noticed this, too, when my family took our cruise. We had spent several nights in two towns, but other people on our cruise just flew in and out for the cruise and never saw any towns/ human population at all. I did think it was a bit of an omission, in my own view, although I wasn't sure if any of them realized they were missing out on anything. Glad you enjoyed the flora and fauna, though, which is certainly the highlight!

Corralejo, Spain
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,268 posts
247 reviews
151 helpful votes
2. Re: Galapagos Legend cruise review
Save

I believe they get to see more people on the longer cruises. We only booked 4 nights. In hindsight, a couple of days on land before or after the cruise might have been worth it for us. But you can't do everything!

It was just brought home as an omission by the fact that we had spent a couple of hours, with our guide, chatting to a local in his home in the Yasuni National Park in the rainforest, just a week previously. We expressed an interest in the brew his daughter was preparing, which ended in him passing round a communal bowl of chicha. That was a highlight of that trip.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
13,914 posts
113 reviews
134 helpful votes
3. Re: Galapagos Legend cruise review
Save

Thanks for your review. It's true TA does not have a place for boat reviews, so I've been collecting them in the Top Questions. I'll add yours later today.

I wonder if the strict group and dining placements were due to the high volume of passengers on board, trying to ensure everyone was spread out evenly. That wasn't an issue on the two small-boat cruises I've taken; everyone just sort of sorted themselves. And there seemed not to be any problem with allowing more time for one elderly passenger; the crew took very good care of her on and off the pangas, across slippery or rough terrain, and while snorkeling.

Corralejo, Spain
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,268 posts
247 reviews
151 helpful votes
4. Re: Galapagos Legend cruise review
Save

Were I to book again, with hindsight I'd choose a small boat, for a more personalised trip. But you live and learn, and we had an amazing trip, nevertheless.

Bellevue, Washington
Level Contributor
234 posts
681 reviews
373 helpful votes
5. Re: Galapagos Legend cruise review
Save

We had a similar experience and I just posted my review and all the day trips we had on the La Pinta on my travel blog if anyone is interested in lots of pics of the daily hikes and snorkeling.

https://davidcrosstravels.com/2022/07/31/la-pinta-review/

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
42 posts
86 reviews
124 helpful votes
6. Re: Galapagos Legend cruise review
Save

Thank you for your review. We head to Guayaquil Thursday to spend 2 days there, then fly to Baltra and spend 2 days at Finch Bay Resort, then onto the Legend for a 4 day 3 night itinerary. I just emailed my TA to have him see if we can get a table for just the 5 of us, as my daughter is special needs. Either way, we plan on having a great time on our 3x delayed buck-list trip!

Reply to: Galapagos Legend cruise review
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted