We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which islands for how long?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
1 review
Which islands for how long?
Save

Hello 👋 me and my husband are going to Galapagos early October and thinking to stay 4 nights in Santa Cruz, 1 night in San Cristobal and 2 nights in Isabela. Wonder what your favorite islands are and for what reasons? And we usually snorkel but we might also try scuba diving as well (for the first time, we are planning to take lessons before we get there) so which island is suitable for beginners?. And any recommendations for water camera?

Thanks so much !

3 replies to this topic
Boston...
Level Contributor
355 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: Which islands for how long?
Save

i haven't been on my trip yet but i travel all over for underwater adventures and i've used many types of cameras but nothing can really compare to my gopro. The hero10 is the latest model, but you can get the earlier models at quite a discount now. I'd say the 8 and above are just excellent (I have the 8). I'd recommend getting multiple extra batteries if you can!

Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
2,550 posts
141 reviews
133 helpful votes
2. Re: Which islands for how long?
Save

Dear Annie,

Galapagos is a whole amazing world for scuba lovers, if you had not done scuba dive in your life I would recommend taking right now the PADI Open Water course, in order to dive here you might need at least 10 inmersions to have a good performance.

The easiest spot for beginners is Academy Bay in Santa Cruz and Lobos islet as well as Tijeretas Point in San Cristobal.

For the rest of time are you thinking about cruising or are you just doing some land based trip?

Saludos cordiales,

Dennis Yépez

Guanguiltagua Expeditions

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,878 posts
128 reviews
164 helpful votes
3. Re: Which islands for how long?
Save

With only 7 nights, I'd fly into San Cristobal & out of Santa Cruz (or vice versa) & leave out Isabela. We spent 4 nights on each of the three & I loved Isabela but the ferry crossings eat into your time. Plus there is a lot to see & do! We didn't dive, just snorkelled but had a great snorkel at Kicker Rock (San Cristobal) with hammerheads underneath us! Its a popular dive site but there can be quite a strong current.

Edited: 28 July 2022, 12:05
Reply to: Which islands for how long?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted