We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how physical

4 posts
2 reviews
how physical
Save

Hi I am planning a family cruise ( Yolita with G) trip next winter and its time to get in shape

Any feedback on how hard the shore hikes are and how much snorkeling there is? I know this is an active trip but also want to be prepared. Thanks

14 replies to this topic
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
694 posts
85 reviews
52 helpful votes
1. Re: how physical
Save

All the ships go to the designated landings in each island so although I did not go on G Adventures I can share my experience. Most of Galápagos Islands are flat so with the exception of the Isabella island volcano hike there are no uphill hikes.

Be prepared though to walk on paths which may go through volcanic lava fields which can involve taking it slow and watching your step. Suggest you have proper hiking shoes.

We had folks ranging in age up to late 70’s and no one had any issues with the hiking.

We did snorkeling 2x per day. There was a support boat if you wanted to go back to the yacht early. Snorkelling is optional. We got to snorkel with seals, penguins and fish and sharks - so cool!!!

We went in Jan and I found the water cold but had my own long wetsuit. I believe most boats provide at least shorty wetsuits.

The most strenuous thing about snorkeling was climbing up the ladder to get back into the zodiac.

Southport, North...
Level Contributor
67 posts
179 reviews
78 helpful votes
2. Re: how physical
Save

Patricia,

We just got back 2 months ago. We are in our 70s and would say most of the hikes were somewhat strenuous. A few of ours were not flat, but the biggest issue is the rocky terrain on most of the hikes, mostly because you have to concentrate for footing. They are not long hikes, usually under 2 miles, but they take an hour or two due to terrain. You will be fine, but the better shape you and your family are in, the easier and more fun it will be. As our week went on, various people skipped a hike or two. We were glad we did them all but you are exhausted by the end of the week, even those in their 30s and 40s. You want to be, since you don’t want to miss out on anything! The snorkeling isn’t difficult, unless you get in a strong current. The hardest part is getting the gear on and remembering all you want to take on every panga outing (smile). Fewer people did the snorkeling, again as the week went on, but everyone was glad for all they did.

Marietta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations, Bonaire
Level Contributor
6,114 posts
46 reviews
64 helpful votes
3. Re: how physical
Save

We did a Galapagos cruise back in March on the Flora. It is a relatively large boat (100 passengers) and offered a choice of activities in almost every time slot. We always choose the most strenuous (that is a "thing" with my wife). We did not have any problems. The climb to the top of Bartolome was a little "breath taking", but I've done much worse. The climb on San Christobal has more challenging from a footing/rugged terrain viewpoint, but reasonable. Oh, wife and I are both in our 70s, but in excellent condition (walk 4 miles a day, ride bikes, 5 - 6 hours a week in the gym, etc.) The following week we went to Macchu Picchu and the Sacred Valley where the altitude affects some people, but we were OK.

If you want to get an idea of some of the walks and snorkels we took, you might want to check my trip report for that trip on my personal web page. http://www.hammocktree.us/trips.html Lots of photos and descriptions of the walks.

Edited: 24 July 2022, 22:01
Boston...
Level Contributor
355 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: how physical
Save

hey @amateurgo, i thought I recognized a familiar name from the Bonaire forum! :)

we just got back from BON in June and are headed to Galapagos this fall.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
4,736 posts
19 reviews
21 helpful votes
5. Re: how physical
Save

Dear Patricia,

be sure you are all very comfortable snorkeling. That's a big part of the thrill in Galapagos. If you're not completely at easy, do invest some time between now and then to practice a lot.

Otherwise, notwithstanding the pace, activities are not very strenuous - the trails are no longer than 1 mile or so (1.6km), but they are taken at a very slow pace with frequent stops (you're there to observe nature after all, not to win a marathon).

Warmesst regards,

Heather Blenkiron

CNH Tours

Warmest

Marietta, Georgia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,114 posts
46 reviews
64 helpful votes
6. Re: how physical
Save

Hey 2020adventuretime, I hope you had a great visit to Bonaire. The snorkeling in Galapagos is much different from Bonaire (water not as clear, some current, etc.) but besides lots of fish (including sharks) we swam/snorkeled with sea lions, rays, and even penguins. Not many places in the world you can do that.

Boston...
Level Contributor
355 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: how physical
Save

Really looking fwd to it, I saw some of your trip reports - seeing your windsurfing adventures in BON i wish i had tried it! obviously you have heaps of experience but this newbie is intrigued. hopefully next time!

Pa.
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
12,015 posts
196 reviews
94 helpful votes
8. Re: how physical
Save

Love to see the BON forumites! We just got back from Bonaire Sunday AM. Wanted to go to Galapagos 2020, but you know....got a new job and had to wait for vacation, so thinking now 2024. We will do the active tour on the Samba with CNH tours. Looks awesome and really looking forward to the snorkeling. Amateur, didn't realize you were in your 70's, You sure are in great shape, awesome!

Marietta, Georgia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,114 posts
46 reviews
64 helpful votes
9. Re: how physical
Save

Didn't mean to hi-jack this thread but.... Yes, we were originally scheduled for Galapagos and Machu Picchu in March 2020, but we all know what happened to that. Have a great trip when you get to the Galapagos 2020adventuretime and snorkeler-6. And 2020adventuretime, if you ever want to try windsurfing, believe me, Bonaire and Lac Bay is the very best place to get started. Give it a try!

Level Contributor
64 posts
2 reviews
10. Re: how physical
Save

Hi Patricia, we just got back from an 8 day cruise to the western islands, unsure if the activity levels depends on where your cruise boat goes. Anyway, we are 62 years old, my husband is in great shape and had no problems at all. I'm in pretty good shape, but not sure footed so had some difficulty on the hike where there were big rocks (Lobos?) but hiking poles were very helpful, We had an extra crew member with us to give anyone a hand that needed it. But that hike was the best, blue footed boobys and baby chicks everywhere!! The snorkeling was a bit challenging, had only snorkeled in the carribean before, but it was quite doable and when we got tired, especially if there was a stronger current, we just got in the panga boat and loved watching everything going on around us. I needed help getting up the ladder on the panga boat at first, but then I figured it out. But no doubt you will always have someone there to assist. Our guide asked us to stay together as a group which was also reassuring. Have a great trip!!

Reply to: how physical
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted