We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel agents or self-book?

Near Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
9 posts
7 reviews
3 helpful votes
Travel agents or self-book?
Save

Hi - I'm looking to travel to the Galapagos next late March/April. I've figured out what boat and itinerary I want (Coral D+A) with a sidetrip afterwards to Isabela for a few days. I'm still figuring out doing something else in Ecuador before or after (Yasuni National Park is number one on my list).

I typically book all my trips individually with the hotel/restaurant/tour operator I'm going to use, and I travel solo. I'm wondering if it's better to use an agency for peace of mind: if there's a new variant or a new pandemic, unrest in Ecuador, etc. Travel insurance doesn't seem to cover pandemics.

2 replies to this topic
1. Re: Travel agents or self-book?

Tripadvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet Tripadvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

What are forum guidelines?

Corralejo, Spain
Destination Expert
for Corralejo, Canary Islands
Level Contributor
8,268 posts
247 reviews
151 helpful votes
2. Re: Travel agents or self-book?
Save

I usually am fiercely independent and like to book everything myself so I get exactly what I want. But I simply couldn't find a way of doing that this time. Partly it was a matter of not being sufficiently good at searching on the web, and partly it was all so complicated.

We just got back last week from a visit to the Yasuni National Park on the Anakonda river cruiser, followed by a cruise around the Galapagos Islands on the Galapagos Legend. We got Rainforest Cruises, of Miami, to arrange both trips. They looked after all the entry fees, permits, domestic flights, etc. I have nothing but praise for them.

Reply to: Travel agents or self-book?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted