We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving in Galapagos prior to a cruise recommended?

Falls Church...
Level Contributor
1,588 posts
344 reviews
1,511 helpful votes
Arriving in Galapagos prior to a cruise recommended?
Save

Hi we are trying to book a Galapagos trip. Do you recommend flying to Baltra from Quito the day the cruise ship sails or arrive a few days early? Are cancellations normal from Quito - Baltra? We don't want to miss our cruise!

8 replies to this topic
Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
4,754 posts
19 reviews
21 helpful votes
1. Re: Arriving in Galapagos prior to a cruise recommended?
Save

Dear Diane,

it's more important to consider arriving in Ecuador 2 nights before your cruise start date. It's the international flights that might cause you grief.

If you are booked on the ship's dedicated flight into the islands, you will be fine, as they would be expecting all its guests to arrive on that flight and any issues arising will be compensated for. I always recommend you do so. If you book a different flight, and that one is late / cancelled etc... the ship will less likely to have all the other guests wait for who knows how long, as you try to make your way to the islands.

Warmest regards,

Heather Blenkiron

Falls Church...
Level Contributor
1,588 posts
344 reviews
1,511 helpful votes
2. Re: Arriving in Galapagos prior to a cruise recommended?
Save

We wanted to arrive 3- 5 nights ahead of time to see the sights. Having been to Machu Picho, we know the altitude requires us to take a slower pace. Than thought we would arrive in the Galapagos ahead of time 1-2 days also to relax & do some hikes or snorkeling before the cruise starts. Any opinions on that game plan?

Falls Church...
Level Contributor
1,588 posts
344 reviews
1,511 helpful votes
3. Re: Arriving in Galapagos prior to a cruise recommended?
Save

We want to go up to the cloud forest for a few days. We know from prior altitude experience that it's better to just take things at a slower pace.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
4,754 posts
19 reviews
21 helpful votes
4. Re: Arriving in Galapagos prior to a cruise recommended?
Save

Dear Diane,

for the trips I organize, we have folks spend a day in Quito after their international arrival. It provides for a bit of a buffer time in case things go wrong (lost luggage, missed connection). Then we go to Galapagos and get right on our little ship - folks are so keen to get going. It's after the cruise that we spend a couple of nights on land in Galapagos - some people choose to stay longer. A cruise can be pretty intense, lots of activity, and it's nice to have a bit of R&R, going at one's own pace, after the trip.

Warmest regards,

Heather Blenkiron

Falls Church...
Level Contributor
1,588 posts
344 reviews
1,511 helpful votes
5. Re: Arriving in Galapagos prior to a cruise recommended?
Save

Thanks Heather for your helpful suggestions. In reading a number of TR, many people said they were exhausted after the cruise & just wanted to go home afterwards. I'm sure this is the senior crowd but we are part of this crowd. Airlines have been canceling many flights & I personally would rather be there a few days in Quito & in the Galapagos prior to a cruise so this does not happen to us. I would be stressing out if I arrived in Quito & had to leave directly for the Galapagos the next day. Even before covid, we had several international flights delayed which caused us to miss our connections.

Estero, Florida
Level Contributor
457 posts
314 reviews
357 helpful votes
6. Re: Arriving in Galapagos prior to a cruise recommended?
Save

You may have made your decisions already, but my (long) trip report from our December visit may be useful. We did 7N in the Quito area (Mindo, Cotopaxi, Quilotoa), 3N on Isabela, 4N on Santa Cruz, 4N on the La Pinta cruise. Hardest part was packing for cold and warm. Enjoy.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294307-i2253-k13784508-Tips_and_Highlights_from_19_Fabulous_Days-Ecuador.html#112245728

Edited: 12 August 2022, 01:45
Falls Church...
Level Contributor
1,588 posts
344 reviews
1,511 helpful votes
7. Re: Arriving in Galapagos prior to a cruise recommended?
Save

Your blog isn't available to view on TA

Bellevue, Washington
Level Contributor
240 posts
683 reviews
386 helpful votes
8. Re: Arriving in Galapagos prior to a cruise recommended?
Save

We enjoyed and became comfortable flying into Quito 2.5 days before the cruise: https://davidcrosstravels.com/2022/07/27/exploring-quito/ and then spent a day and half after the cruise relaxing in Quito after the cruise: https://davidcrosstravels.com/2022/08/03/modern-quito/

We spent the first part in the older part of the city and the second part in the modern part of the city.

It was a good balance and helped us enjoy the trip even more.

Reply to: Arriving in Galapagos prior to a cruise recommended?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted