We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Social Unrest - Still Touch and Go, even in Galapagos

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
4,738 posts
19 reviews
21 helpful votes
Social Unrest - Still Touch and Go, even in Galapagos
Save

The situation remains fluid as of today (28 June). This protest is lasting longer than usual in my experience. I'm starting to think the protesters won't back down until the president resigns (too bad for Ecuador, which has difficulties letting presidents complete a full electoral mandate).

For the first time yesterday, tourism was affected in Galapagos when fishermen in San Cristobal and Isabela islands disrupted free movement of people, forcing the cancellation of tourism day trips. It appears that today, the fishermen have stood down and things are back to normal. Almost everyone in Galapagos lives indirectly or directly from tourism, and after the pandemic, there is little patience for arbitrary disruptions to people's livelihoods - and the fishermen have come to realize this, I think.

On the mainland, things change from day to day, even hour to hour. I have had several groups of people traveling in Ecuador / Galapagos in the past 10 days. Some have been able to fly to the Amazon basin from Quito, or do a day trip to the Papallacta hot springs from the airport, but unable to visit the Quito city centre due to roads being blocked by protesters. My team and I have been busy helping them deal with these unexpected developments, finding alternative plans.

If you are going to Ecuador / Galapagos in the coming days, I recommend you stay informed about the situation and if you want to reduce the chances of anything going wrong, we recommend you stay very close to the airports and don't attempt to go into the cities as a rule of thumb. Speak with your travel advisor for advice / help.

Despite all the disruptions, there is little threat of violence for tourists. What violence that has occured so far is stricly limited to those involved in the most heated moments of the demonstrations.

Warmest regards,

Heather Blenkiron

CNH Tours

Edited: 28 June 2022, 16:45
3 replies to this topic
1 post
1. Re: Social Unrest - Still Touch and Go, even in Galapagos
Save

Thank you so much for updating us, Heather. My daughter is in Quito until July 21 - Was going to meet her and do a Galapagos tour, but have not booked as so much is uncertain. I'll keep following and make a final decision.

Level Contributor
64 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Social Unrest - Still Touch and Go, even in Galapagos
Save

Thank you Heather for your update. Our trip to the Galapagos starts July 15th and we are planning to go as of now (we are staying at the Wyndham at the airport before and after our cruise.) Still, it makes us uneasy right now. Had I not saw posts here on Tripadvisor, I wouldn't have even known there were protests, road closures, etc. Not one peep on the news here in the US. So thanks again for posting, much appreciated.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
4,738 posts
19 reviews
21 helpful votes
3. Re: Social Unrest - Still Touch and Go, even in Galapagos
Save

Dear Sue -

I should think that by the 15th July things will have settled. But do keep an eye on things. Are you working with a travel advisor/agency? They should be able to advise.

Warmest regards,

Heather Blenkiron

Reply to: Social Unrest - Still Touch and Go, even in Galapagos
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted