We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tedious packing questions

San Diego...
Level Contributor
181 posts
Tedious packing questions
Save

Hi!

We are doing a 5-day cruise on Santa Cruz II. I found the packing list a little underwhelming. We will also be in Quito one day.

I need something that specifies how many of each thing to bring.

Are you in water a lot so that you can rewear land/boat clothes?

Why do they suggest a windbreaker exactly? I have always found this packing recommendation to be one where I bring it and never use it. If it’s windy I’d rather wear a hoody. Unless it’s a cold wind… is it a cold wind? I can’t imagine so.

Exactly how many pairs of shoes? I’m not bringing 3-4 pairs of shoes for a 5-day trip. That sounds absurd. Seems like water shoes, sneakers, and flip flops might be it though. (Every time I leave flip flops at home bc someone told me they aren’t the proper foot attire I regret it…so I bring them.)

Do you wear socks much? It seems like no? So maybe we don’t need a pair of socks for every day?

Is there a preferred sunblock for the ecosystem? I’d imagine a physical sunscreen is better because there are no/fewer chemicals?

How long are the hikes typically - mileage and time? That informs a few things - like if we will even bother making our son carry a daypack, if you truly need a water bladder or if a water bottle would be fine, etc.

Wetsuits - we have full wetsuits and spring suits. What should we pack here? Might as well bring our own. Are you wearing a wetsuit bc the water is actually cold? Or is it more for sun protection?

Is there anything you absolutely shouldn’t bring? Or anything people leave at home and realize they should have brought?

Btw, my ideal packing list would answer these two questions:

- how much of each thing do you need to bring.

- why you need to bring each thing.

Thanks!!!

7 replies to this topic
Boston...
Level Contributor
356 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: Tedious packing questions
Save

I don't have the answers, because i Have the same questions!! so i'm watching this thread with great interest.

I will say on the sneakers/hike shoes front, I plan on bringing a single pair that does both. I got them on amazon - they have a rugged hiking-type sole but look like sneakers and have drainage holes/mesh for water. I used them all over Tahiti on rugged snorkel spots and on jungle hikes and they were perfect.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
13,924 posts
113 reviews
134 helpful votes
2. Re: Tedious packing questions
Save

I thought by now someone would have answered, but here is my take:

The equatorial sun is more intense than you can imagine, and more so with it reflecting off the water. You can get burned really quickly. So long sleeves and pants, plus a wide-brimmed hat, would be my choice. Alternatively, you can wear sun-protective runner's sleeves with a T shirt. Or a sun-protective layer over the T. I would take three shirts and two pairs of pants; I just don't wear shorts at all. And yes, you can wear the same clothes several times; just swap them each day. Nobody cares what you look like.

Bring your flip flops if you can't live without them. Water shoes are not really necessary as you can do the water landings barefoot, and bring a towel to dry off your feet to put shoes on. Some people have commented that they just bring old beater shoes and let them get wet. Closed-toe shoes will protect your feet from sharp lava and also be a good idea to wear in Quito, where it will be chilly.

It can be chilly at night on the boat, and definitely in Quito. I like my cozy fleece jacket with zippered pockets.

Land excursions might be a couple of hours but they are not hikes; they are very slow walks while the guide points out things of interest. A water bottle would probably be most welcome (see "equatorial sun" above). It's quite possible the boat will have large jugs of water with which to refill your bottles each day. The guide will tell you what other gear to bring.

The water will be quite chilly--it's the Pacific, after all, which you may be used to. A full wetsuit or shorty with skin underneath will protect you from the sun. I'm a warm water wuss so on my last trip wore a 5mil full suit, booties, and a beanie.

Galapagos enthusiast Tina put together an amazing blog years ago to help future travelers https://galapagos2009.wordpress.com/practicalities/a-tome-of-tips-for-travel/ It has stood the test of time.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
43 posts
9 reviews
2 helpful votes
3. Re: Tedious packing questions
Save

Any chance of a link to the type of shoe you are talking about? Thanks

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
43 posts
9 reviews
2 helpful votes
4. Re: Tedious packing questions
Save

Sorry, that was meant for 2020adventuretime. Looking for the sneakerhike/water shoe.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
181 posts
5. Re: Tedious packing questions
Save

Thank youuuuuu! These are exactly the responses I needed.

Re: link for water shoes - my husband bought 2 pairs for my son and I’ll take whichever one he doesn’t like (we are the same size shoe).

Not sure if anyone used these. Links:

Maxome Water Shoes Men,Water Shoes for Women,Mens Womens Beach Shoes,Aqua Shoes,Swim Shoes,Pool Shoes,Barefoot Shoes,Water Shoes Quick Dry,Boating Fishing Diving with Yoga Water Aerobics https://a.co/0Dd8Qjr

Limited-time deal: SIMARI Water Shoes Womens Mens Swim Beach Pool Aqua Sports Quick Dry Barefoot Diving Surf Walking https://a.co/eDe01CP

Boston...
Level Contributor
356 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: Tedious packing questions
Save

I got these and I love them (though the price has come up significantly since I bought them)

I tried similar shoes to the ones posted above, and I found they didn't have enough rigidity/support for me. These had more structure to them.

https://a.co/gnCBMtP

Edited: 27 June 2022, 17:25
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
43 posts
9 reviews
2 helpful votes
7. Re: Tedious packing questions
Save

Thanks for that, Bridgett. Enjoy your trip.

Reply to: Tedious packing questions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted