We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

President declares state of emergency

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
4,700 posts
19 reviews
21 helpful votes
President declares state of emergency
Save

Due to the on-going strike action in and around Quito, president Lasso declared a state of emergency in that part of Ecuador yesterday. While there is little threat of violence - it has become difficult to move freely in and around the capital due to road blockages.

If you must travel via Quito to Galapagos in the coming days, you should be OK as long as you don't stray too far from the airport if you have any free time / staying on the continent for a few days.

Options including finding a hotel very near the airport if you need one, or re-routing through Guayaquil, which is not affected.

Based on my near 25 years of experience monitoring Ecuador, such protests do occur from time to time, and usually last between several days to a week - 10 days.

Warmest regards,

Heather Blenkiron

CNH Tours

17 replies to this topic
Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
2 helpful votes
1. Re: President declares state of emergency
Save

During this state of emergency and the curfew from 10:00 p.m. to 5:00 a.m., will overnight shuttles be cancelled? I read it says transportation to and from the airport will be permitted, but we are flying into Quito and then are supposed to be taking the overnight shuttle to the entrance of the Cuyabeno Reserve. Will these busses continue to operate overnight? Thanks for any info!

Joburg, South Africa
Level Contributor
321 posts
42 reviews
32 helpful votes
2. Re: President declares state of emergency
Save

I arrived at Quito airport last night (Saturday) after midnight and transport seemed normal leaving the airport. I hopped into a taxi, though I was only going 5 minutes to a hotel close to the airport, so not sure what the story is if you need to travel further.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
111 posts
44 reviews
35 helpful votes
3. Re: President declares state of emergency
Save

A small data point, for what it's worth. We drove from a lodge near Antisana Natl Park, through Pintag, and then to the Quito airport without a problem. This was on June 19 at approx. 11 am.

Salt Lake City...
Level Contributor
20 posts
4. Re: President declares state of emergency
Save

We flew into GUayaquil yesterday planning to travel to banos, but the road is closed, so even here in guayaquil, you can only go certain places

7 posts
5. Re: President declares state of emergency
Save

Hi there,

Which hotel did you find?

Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
2,513 posts
140 reviews
133 helpful votes
6. Re: President declares state of emergency
Save

Layla,

The shuttles to Cuyabeno need an open road to drive trough, at this point to drive to Lago Agrio is not feasible do to the road blockades.

This might end in a week or so I am pretty positive, the government has to negotiate with the indigenous people leaders in order to sort the social situation out.

Saludos cordiales,

Dennis Yépez

Guanguiltagua Expeditions

San Diego...
Level Contributor
181 posts
7. Re: President declares state of emergency
Save

How’s it going? It’s 6/26 when I right this.

Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
2,513 posts
140 reviews
133 helpful votes
8. Re: President declares state of emergency
Save

Situation is getting better Bridget,

Quito had a peaceful weekend and today Monday the 27th of July, the country might experience more protests, we hope that those will be more peaceful. The Congress is trying to impeach our president and the opposition representatives are working to get two thirds of the number of congress people in order reach the necessary votes to achieve the impeachment. I don't think the opposition will make it...

Road blocks in and around Quito are settled until the police comes and opens the road. Once the police is gone the strikers block the road again. With a bit of patience and Spanish knowledge tourists can transit.

Saludos cordiales,

Dennis Yépez

San Diego...
Level Contributor
181 posts
9. Re: President declares state of emergency
Save

Thank you.

Our point of contact is suggesting we change our travel plans and fly it o a different city or change our hotel to the airport hotel and just hangout there from July 2nd-4th. Do you have thoughts on this?

From what you’re saying, the roads should be passable using a cab at 11:30pm on the night of July 2nd and then to the airport on the morning of July 4th. We may have to find our own transportation if the Santa Cruz II folks refuse to coordinate transport from our hotel (Dann Carlton) to the airport on July 2nd.

It’s hard to coordinate with our point of contact because I think there’s an assumption that because we booked an incredibly expensive cruise we have unlimited resources - so it’s hard to know how necessary the suggestions are.

Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
2,513 posts
140 reviews
133 helpful votes
10. Re: President declares state of emergency
Save

Bridget,

Who is your contact person? Is that a U.S. agent or and Ecuadorian local based agent?

The government is sitting to negotiate in a few minutes with the indigenous people leaders at la Basilica church in Quito, there might be good results by this midnight.

By July the 2nd everything is gonna be resolved I am pretty positive.

If you need a driver to get you around in Quito please PM me in order to give you advice.

Saludos cordiales,

Dennis Yépez

Reply to: President declares state of emergency
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Galapagos Islands