We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Galapagos Aboard the Endemic

Alexandria, Va
Level Contributor
257 posts
52 reviews
31 helpful votes
Galapagos Aboard the Endemic
Save

In May, we finally made it to the Galapagos on the Endemic. This trip was supposed to happen in May 2020....it's been a long time to wait! I didn't pose questions but read thousands of responses here, so I wanted to provide a brief trip report - I know people like reviews of the ships!

The Endemic was amazing. 16 people; huge cabins, nice balconies and a variety of comfortable places on board to relax in between excursions or before/after meals. The food was very good and varied; they accommodated two vegetarians and always had lots of options at each meal. They grilled on the top deck a few times, and made eggs/omelets fresh to order every morning if you wanted.

The service was impeccable. I can't say enough about the staff and the naturalist (Morris). They always responded to any request with a smile, had snacks and drinks for us every time we came back from an excursion (and warm towels after snorkeling!). Chocolates on the pillows and towel animals at turn down service before bed....

We did the 8 day route "A", which went to the western islands, including Genovese (a favorite) Santa Cruz, Rabida, Santiago, Isabela, and Fernandina. Every day we did two or three activities - hiking/walking, snorkeling, panga (zodiak) rides. It was all well-timed according to their approved schedule, so sometimes we were hiking at 7am before breakfast, but it was worth it!

You can read the details of the itinerary here: https://www.goldengalapagoscruises.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/Day-by-Day-Itinerary-A-Endemic.pdf. I would highly recommend it or something similar (we saw the G Adventures boat anchored near us most days, so I know at least they follow a similar route). Genovese, in particular, if you are a bird-lover, is a must. Birds everywhere....with chicks, trying to attract mates, building nests, flying and swooping....

Every day we were amazed by new sites and different animals. As an amateur photographer, I was in heaven! I will provide a little reality of small boat travel - you are in the middle of the ocean. They sway in the waves, sometimes a lot. The boats often travel after dinner and through most of the night - the engines (and this is not limited to the Endemic), are not quiet. Bring your motion sickness remedies, and I'd suggest earplugs. Our first night was rough enough that things fell off desks/shelves/etc if they were not secure, and we were moving until about 4am - we learned after that to put everything away! But that was just part of the experience.

It is such a unique place, and a different type of vacation than most others. Truly a bucket list trip!

I'll come back here and answer questions of anyone has any, but I hope this helps!

2 replies to this topic
Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
13,811 posts
113 reviews
133 helpful votes
1. Re: Galapagos Aboard the Endemic
Save

Sounds like it was worth the wait! I've added it to the boat reviews in the Top Questions, and hope it stick.

Alexandria, Va
Level Contributor
257 posts
52 reviews
31 helpful votes
2. Re: Galapagos Aboard the Endemic
Save

Thanks!

Reply to: Galapagos Aboard the Endemic
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Galapagos Islands