We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last minute questions

orlando
Level Contributor
37 posts
15 reviews
14 helpful votes
Last minute questions
Save

Hello everyone,

We will be in the Galapagos next week, so it would helpful to hear from someone who is generally familiar with the weather in late May/early June.

The cruise seems to include two hikes/walks a day. Would most people were shorts or long pants for this activity at this time of year?

Typically, are mosquitoes an issue during this season?

Many thanks for any suggestions forthcoming!

Stevie

4 replies to this topic
Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
229 posts
110 reviews
67 helpful votes
1. Re: Last minute questions
Save

Mosquito not a big problem in Galapagos, sandflies can be. Shorts mostly tend to be ok, people who really want to avoid sunshine can wear long pants / leaves. Definitely bring enough sunscreen.

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,861 posts
128 reviews
163 helpful votes
2. Re: Last minute questions
Save

I'll let the experts comment but I came back last week. We ended up wearing long trousers more than shorts just because the sun was so strong (and we're not used to it!) but either would have been fine. Occasionally hikes started in a cooler wetter Highlands before moving to a hotter drier area e.g the Sierra Negra hike on Isabela. Here long trousers were preferable.

It should of course be slightly cooler when you're there. When we were there the temperature was early 20s (centigrade) but the strong sun made it feel much hotter.

We didn't have any problems with mosquitos but on several beaches horseflies were common & bit quite a few people. My partner got quite a few bites - once even through a shirt sleeve. I did use repellent but they seemed to bite around the waters edge & one guide said they especially like wet skin..

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
4,696 posts
19 reviews
21 helpful votes
3. Re: Last minute questions
Save

Indeed, long pants / sleeves might be more for sun protection than bug / cold protection. It will be warm during the day - perhaps you'd be better off just putting on some sunscreen and sticking to short pants / sleeves. It can get quite warm when the sun comes out.

Warmest regards,

Heather Blenkiron

orlando
Level Contributor
37 posts
15 reviews
14 helpful votes
4. Re: Last minute questions
Save

Thank you very much! We're from Florida and AZ, so we're good with the heat and are bringing the proper protection so we're free to wear t-shirts and shorts if we wish.

Reply to: Last minute questions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted