We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wetsuits for early-mid June?

9 posts
1 review
Wetsuits for early-mid June?
Save

Hello,

I have a question on what kind of wetsuit I should get for an 8 day cruise in early to mid-June (snorkeling only - no diving). I tend to get cold quickly. Will 3/2 be enough or should i plan to get a warmer one like 4/3?

Thanks in advance!

K

5 replies to this topic
United States
Level Contributor
1,126 posts
29 reviews
20 helpful votes
1. Re: Wetsuits for early-mid June?
Save

I don't know what the thickness was of the suit I rented from the ship, but I highly recommend a full length arms and legs for the sun protection. I didn't have to slather on sunscreen for legs and arms.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
13,804 posts
113 reviews
133 helpful votes
2. Re: Wetsuits for early-mid June?
Save

I'm a major warm water wuss and wore a 5 mil full wetsuit, beanie, and booties on my last trip, about the same time period as yours. If you have already have a full suit, take that. It will keep you warmer than a shortie, especially if you can keep your head warm with a beanie.

9 posts
1 review
3. Re: Wetsuits for early-mid June?
Save

Thank you! This is very helpful!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Salta, Bolivia, Peru
Level Contributor
8,855 posts
339 reviews
181 helpful votes
4. Re: Wetsuits for early-mid June?
Save

Like azbuceadora, I am a warm water wuss. go for a 5 mm full suit.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
13,804 posts
113 reviews
133 helpful votes
5. Re: Wetsuits for early-mid June?
Save

Well, I already owned all my gear. I wouldn't run out and buy a 5mil suit just for snorkeling. If the boat offers full suits, those will be adequate. If they only offer shorties, you might be able to luck out on a deal on a full suit at a local dive shop (your hometown, that is); they often offer their used gear at killer deals.

One bit of advice for when you get out of the water: remove the wetsuit immediately, and dry off. The sooner your skin is dry, the sooner you'll start to warm up.

Edited: 27 May 2022, 01:25
Reply to: Wetsuits for early-mid June?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted