We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

any experience with back to back 8D itineraries?

Boston...
Level Contributor
338 posts
2 reviews
any experience with back to back 8D itineraries?
Save

Curious if anyone here has recently done 2 8D trips back to back on a single boat. Or even 8D+4/5 trips. I've seen some reports from years ago in the archives here but wondering if anyone's had recent experience.

Any drawback to doing the "A" and "B" itineraries on the same boat? I acknowledge there will be a bit of destination overlap as there's a pickup/dropoff halfway through but for the most part this seems like a good way to see all there is to see? Any obvious drawbacks I'm missing?

Thanks.

4 replies to this topic
Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
4,696 posts
19 reviews
21 helpful votes
1. Re: any experience with back to back 8D itineraries?
Save

Dear 2020,

it's better to do it on the same ship - guaranteeing no overlap. Ships are not allowed to go to the same visitor site twice in their 15 day itineraries. You can't avoid the pick-up / drop-off - no ship does a full 15 day itinerary without doing so.

You will certainly get to see and experience a lot of Galapagos that way - much more than Charles Darwin did in his 35 days there.

Warmest regards,

Heather Blenkiron

Boston...
Level Contributor
338 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: any experience with back to back 8D itineraries?
Save

Thanks Heather! That's very interesting that the ships are not allowed to go to the same sites in the 15 day. That's great to know.

Lakewood, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,447 posts
18 reviews
10 helpful votes
3. Re: any experience with back to back 8D itineraries?
Save

I did not do the combined itinerary but 3 couples on our ship (Samba) did what you are considering. We started with the NW itinerary and then they continued on the SE itinerary. I believe the only “repeat” for them was initial and end ports (Baltra). Passenger change occurred in Puerto Arroyo and conveniently included land tours that day.

I corresponded with one of those passengers and was told the experience was good and they saw a few different wildlife species and the island landscape/vegetation was a little different compared to the NW islands.

I’d say go for it if you have the time and money. I would love the opportunity to return some day. Heather with CNH Tours (above) can help you with the variety of ships and itineraries.

Good luck and have fun!

Lusaka, Zambia
Level Contributor
239 posts
25 reviews
6 helpful votes
4. Re: any experience with back to back 8D itineraries?
Save

I did two 5-day itineraries in a row on the same boat and it was a great experience. No repeats and already knew the crew/guide well.

Reply to: any experience with back to back 8D itineraries?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Galapagos Islands