We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santa Cruz Recommendations

2 posts
Santa Cruz Recommendations
Save

HI all, I'm new to the forum! I will be visiting the Galapagos for 2 weeks this summer. I'm traveling solo and going land-based. I'm booking the more popular day tours ahead of time, and will book the rest when I get there. I will be on Santa Cruz 4 days (3 nights), and trying to decide my best options while I'm there. So in reality, I will have 2 full days and 2 half-days there.

I think realistically I will have time to visit one of the uninhabited islands while I'm there. If you had to pick one, which would it be?

Second question - My flight out on my last day leaves late afternoon (5:30-ish). Is there anything I can do for a few hours in the morning? How long before my flight out do I need to arrive at the airport?

Thanks!

3 replies to this topic
North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,861 posts
128 reviews
163 helpful votes
1. Re: Santa Cruz Recommendations
Save

Hi, we did 2 day tours from Santa Cruz - Bartolome & North Seymour. We definitely preferred North Seymour. Not only is it closer but you have the chance to see blue-footed boobies, the magnificent frigate birds (some with the puffed our red chests) & yellow land iguanas. Bartolome is further away & really only has the famous viewpoint. There's very little wildlife.

We had a lunchtime flight & stopped at El Chato reserve to see the tortoises & lava tunnels, then did a photo stop at Los Gemelos on our way to the airport. We spent about an hour but it was a whistle-stop visit - another half hour or even a bit longer would have been much more relaxed.

I would aim to be at the Itabaca channel 2 hours before your flight if like me, you don't like worrying about missing flights. We were there 2 hours & 10 minutes before ours. It didn't take us long getting the baggage onto the ferry (we went on a second boat as the ferry was full) but on the other side we waited a good 15 minutes or so for a bus. Our luggage was on the bus before the one we got but sure enough it was waiting for us outside the airport when we arrived. Baltra is a small airport & we were through check-in & security quickly.

2 posts
2. Re: Santa Cruz Recommendations
Save

Was your El Chato reserve visit part of an organized tour?

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,861 posts
128 reviews
163 helpful votes
3. Re: Santa Cruz Recommendations
Save

Hi Jennifer, no we asked the taxi driver to do it en route. It's quite a popular thing to do when either arriving/leaving. We booked the taxi through our accommodation but I think from memory it would have been cheaper to book through book.ec who I used for a few other parts of my trip but we weren't sure if we'd have time to do it or how tired we'd be so left it to the last minute. Our taxi driver charged $60, I'd been reckoning on $50.

Reply to: Santa Cruz Recommendations
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted