We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Medical Facilities & plan in the event of Covid comlication

Hopkins, Minnesota
8 posts
Medical Facilities & plan in the event of Covid comlication
Save

We are headed to the Galapagos with extended family in June.

Its been postponed for the past two years and we decided to go for it as Covid numbers are more encouraging this year.

This is a medical question, no political comments please.

My wife has severe asthma and for obvious reasons we are very cautious. As the trip nears and Covid numbers fluctuate we'd like some assurance that in the event of catching Covid while there, should medical attention be required we have a plan. Keeping a positive attitude but want to be prepared.

We cant seem to get a solid answer from out agent or tour company - theyve informed us no cases have occurred (or been reported) by tourists in their groups.

We have taken all precautions on this end,

• all vaccinated, boosted etc (though we have many friends who also are that have had fairly severe omicron cases).

• Will purchase a local SIM card, and bring Satellite phone.

• Our accommodations are all land based

My question is, on the off chance my wife catches covid on the plane on the way there, and needs medical attention is there a quality hospital nearby? Has anyone experienced this or could someone recommend who/where to call to find out options?

Thanks for any advice / referrals you might offer

3 replies to this topic
Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
4,651 posts
19 reviews
21 helpful votes
1. Re: Medical Facilities & plan in the event of Covid comlication
Save

Dear Jester,

it's a pity your agent cannot answer these questions for you.

I am in Galapagos these days - and I have direct knowledge that, as in just about everywhere on the planet these days, COVID still circulates. I have come across several cases - and all are pretty mild, causing some temporary inconvenience similar to a cold. Protocols here are in a state of flux, as earlier, strict measures are being dropped, in recognition that COVID will be with us in this mild form for the foreseeable future. Very few people are wearing masks anymore - the national mask mandate was dropped 10 days ago.

While the two bigger centers of population on Santa Cruz and San Cristobal Island have hospitals, any real serious health issue would best be treated on the mainland, where good hospitals exist (private and public).

You might want to be sure you have emergency medical evacuation insurance if you think it appropriate.

Warmest regards,

Heather Blenkiron

CNH Tours

1 post
2. Re: Medical Facilities & plan in the event of Covid comlication
Save

but if test positive at the airport, still need isolate for 10 days?

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
4,651 posts
19 reviews
21 helpful votes
3. Re: Medical Facilities & plan in the event of Covid comlication
Save

Only the USA appears to be requiring a test for entry into that country. It seems that no such requirement exists in most other countries anymore. This is a source of anxiety for US travelers of course. The airline taking you back to the USA will require a proof of negative antigen test taken no more than 24 hours prior to embarkation. If you test positive, it is currently expected of you to isolate - but no one appears to check up on that. Check with your airline for what they expect from you and how they handle a positive test. It's up to them to screen you prior to boarding.

Warmest regards,

Heather Blenkiron

Reply to: Medical Facilities & plan in the event of Covid comlication
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.