We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2nd half of trip after 4 day Cruise: Puerto Ayora or Quito?

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
16 posts
13 reviews
23 helpful votes
2nd half of trip after 4 day Cruise: Puerto Ayora or Quito?
Save

Really excited for our upcoming 4D/3N cruise on the Infinity that goes to:

Santa Cruz

Genovesa Island

Santiago Island

Rabida Island

(Itinerary: https://www.royalgalapagos.com/product/infinity/itinerary.html )

The question I'm debating is whether to stay on Galapagos for the remaining 4 days of our trip after the cruise, or spend those days in Quito. If we stayed, I think we'd set up camp in Puerto Ayora or San Cristobal, which seem like the only places with lodging there.

I'd be excited for Quito, but only concern is that it's a once in a lifetime trip and I don't want to leave Galapagos feeling like there was more I wanted to see there. And a 4D/3N cruise is on the shorter side. Given the itinerary above, are there significant places that we won't see on our cruise that it would be worth staying there to see on our own (via day trips from PA or SC, I suppose)?

I know it's of course a very personal decision based on preferences, but any opinions would be welcome.

6 replies to this topic
Boston...
Level Contributor
215 posts
38 reviews
31 helpful votes
1. Re: 2nd half of trip after 4 day Cruise: Puerto Ayora or Quito?
Save

I would go to San Cristobal, which has a very charming, lovely town. If you like, you can take some land-based day trips from there, such as to Kicker Rock and/or Espanola.

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
16 posts
13 reviews
23 helpful votes
2. Re: 2nd half of trip after 4 day Cruise: Puerto Ayora or Quito?
Save

Thank you for the reply! I'm sure that I won't be bored or lacking for things to do in either San Cristobal or Puerto Ayora. Do you (or anyone else) have any opinions on whether a 4D/3N cruise to the islands listed in the OP will feel 'too short' (if we indeed decide to head back to the mainland)? Will there be quintessential Galapagos experiences that we may miss or feel shortchanged on? On the one hand, the crown jewel of this vacation are the islands so I think it would be crazy not to spend as much time there as possible...on the other hand, it's *likely* the only trip we'll make to that part of the world, and Quito seems like a fun experience too. Will a 4D/3N cruise feel like "enough" Galapagos (to the extent there is such a thing??)

Thanks for any opinions; I know I'm probably overthinking this and this trip will be magical regardless, just want to make a good decision.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
13,698 posts
111 reviews
133 helpful votes
3. Re: 2nd half of trip after 4 day Cruise: Puerto Ayora or Quito?
Save

If you haven't already, take a look at the Top Questions on the right (not visible on phones); there is one titled "Land-based options" with a very long thread that should help you decide. Lots of details about sites and excursions.

Boston...
Level Contributor
215 posts
38 reviews
31 helpful votes
4. Re: 2nd half of trip after 4 day Cruise: Puerto Ayora or Quito?
Save

I think a 4D/3N cruise is quite short. My family stayed 6D/5N on land, followed by a 5D/4N cruise. There were many people on our cruise who had just flown in and out for the cruise without seeing anything else and without stepping foot in any town. I don't really know how they felt about it because I didn't ask, but I felt sorry for them and felt like they had missed a lot. My family didn't go to Quito--it didn't interest me as much. I haven't regretted it, but everyone has different interests. All you can really do is read up on the opportunities available from all your potential destinations and see what interests you most.

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
16 posts
13 reviews
23 helpful votes
5. Re: 2nd half of trip after 4 day Cruise: Puerto Ayora or Quito?
Save

Thanks for the reply -- that's helpful, even just your assessment that 4D/3N will feel "quite short"; that was what I was concerned about, particularly since as I wrote this will realistically be our only trip out to the islands.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
36 posts
16 reviews
1 helpful vote
6. Re: 2nd half of trip after 4 day Cruise: Puerto Ayora or Quito?
Save

Hi,

II would recommend staying in the Galapagos. If I hadn't spent time in Quito I may still have my cell phone - it was stolen. I also stayed for a week on Santa Cruz after to dive. I wish I had time to go to San Cristobal as well, but maybe next time. If you are on Santa Cruz, I recommend going to the Highland View Galapagos. It's $5 entry and worth more.

Reply to: 2nd half of trip after 4 day Cruise: Puerto Ayora or Quito?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.