We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Galapagos Legend reviews???

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
31 posts
85 reviews
122 helpful votes
Galapagos Legend reviews???
Save

Soooo - after being cancelled on the Infinity yacht due to covid we decided to re-book this August on Galapagos Legend. I know people like the "smaller" ships/yachts, but we had a couple of reasons for booking on the 100 person Legend: Daughter now has a boyfriend (soon to be fiancé) who is sailing with us, so on Infinity we would need 3 cabins for 5 of us, which would not work as other daughter is special needs and can't be by herself. Reason 2: On Legend we can get a triple and a double, and it would save us around $5,000. Disney expedition trips are chartering the Legend for 7-8 Galapagos voyages, so that is a plus in our book, as Disney only books the best. Anyone sail on Legend recently ?

9 replies to this topic
Lafayette, Colorado
Level Contributor
23 posts
1. Re: Galapagos Legend reviews???
Save

Hello! We haven't sailed yet, but we'll be on Legend June 9-13. So, I'll be happy to share what we think after our return. We have 3 for our room as well. Very excited and hopeful that the ship is as great as it looks! : )

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
31 posts
85 reviews
122 helpful votes
2. Re: Galapagos Legend reviews???
Save

Hoping your trip is wonderful. We are flying into Ecuador on a Thursday night, arriving on a Friday morning. Staying at Wyndham Guayaquil for 2 nights before we fly to Baltra. Staying 2 nights at Finch Bay Hotel and then onto the Legend. Sooo looking forward to finally doing our bucket list trip!

Boston...
Level Contributor
215 posts
38 reviews
31 helpful votes
3. Re: Galapagos Legend reviews???
Save

I have not been on the Legend, but 3 years ago my family was on the Coral I, which is operated by the same company. We were very pleased. The ship was clean and beautiful, and the staff and the food were wonderful. We had no complaints! I hope the Legend will be a similar experience for you, but just larger!

Oregon
Level Contributor
578 posts
111 reviews
71 helpful votes
4. Re: Galapagos Legend reviews???
Save

Yes! Sailed on the Legend April 7-14. We chose this ship because it's larger; I get really seasick (had wanted to do a live-aboard dive trip, but I just couldn't be on a smaller boat). Our trip was the combination of two itineraries. We started at San Cristobal and ended up at Baltras, after going south and then north. The food was good, the staff professional and attentive, the guides knowledgeable and helpful. The biggest negative perhaps was that the schedule would change, so if you plan your day at a certain time, sometimes things didn't happen that way. But we're all on the same boat, so going with the flow is fine. All the trips are from dinghies, so that got a bit old of donning and doffing life jackets, hopping into the boat, and then doing it again and again.

Oregon
Level Contributor
578 posts
111 reviews
71 helpful votes
5. Re: Galapagos Legend reviews???
Save

I should have perhaps stated that the U.S. State Dept. had issued a warning about travel to Ecuador due to COVID. We already had our plans, so off we went, 2 1/2 weeks in Peru plus 8 nights planned for Ecuador. The day we left the Galapagos, 4/14, we were scheduled to fly back to the U.S. through Quito. Took the required COVD test at the Quito airport, and we both tested positive! Our world suddenly changed. We quarantined for a week at the Wyndham Quito Airport hotel. Thankfully tested negative last Thurs., 4/21, and are now back at home. We have no idea when or who we contracted the virus from, but believe it happened in the Galapagos.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
31 posts
85 reviews
122 helpful votes
6. Re: Galapagos Legend reviews???
Save

Thank you for your review. My husband's biggest fear is not of contracting covid, but contracting it while in Ecuador and being "stranded" at a hotel for x amount of days. We will be flying back to the U.S. through Guayaquil, and are fully vaccinated and boosted. No one can afford to spend an extra week or 2 out of the country due to their jobs. Then again - a lot can happen between now and when we leave 8/11.

Edited: 27 April 2022, 17:48
Corralejo, Spain
Destination Expert
for Corralejo, Canary Islands
Level Contributor
8,196 posts
240 reviews
151 helpful votes
7. Re: Galapagos Legend reviews???
Save

We're booked on the Legend, getting on board 21st July, which is our 40th wedding anniversary. We're so hoping it lives up to our expectations. By then, we'll already have done several days in Quito -- at altitude, of course -- and a week cruising the Amazon basin. Hopefully those will both go well.

My questions for others concerns scheduled activities. We booked the Legend as my husband has limited mobility and walks very slowly. We didn't want him holding up the same people every day. Is there more than one activity planned each day? Are some more suitable for people with limited mobility? Can you usually still see interesting things if you stay on the boat sometimes?

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
48 posts
8. Re: Galapagos Legend reviews???
Save

My wife and I just finished a 25-28 Apr trip on the Legend and thought it was mostly great. We were on the N Central route with stops at Genovesa, Santa Fe, and multiple visits to Santa Cruz. #4's response about staff etc generally was our opinion also except we weren't bothered by the quick and easy life vest changes. We were fortunate to have good weather, calm seas, and the food was good and plentiful.

Re your husbands limited mobility. You may have to be more specific plus it would also depend the length and routing of your visit. You will see very little from the legend itself which means you will have to transfer from the Legend to the zodiac boats for transfer to the islands and their sights. Though awkward, there are plenty of staff there that assist everyone during this process. Then there are the landings on the islands. Most on our routing were dry but a couple were wet ie you had to shimmy over the side into the water and of course the reverse when going back. Of the islands/sights we visited, most trails were easily navigated and relatively level. The exception was Prince Philips Steps on Genovesa sland which meant climbing ~100 meters up and over uneven rocks. Again, what is your definition of limited mobility?

As far as activities go, there are activities scheduled throughout the day from 8-5 including 2-3 island excursions. glass bottom boat trips or snorkeling/deep water dives etc. Except for Santa Fe Island Barrington Bay, the glass bottom boat trips were disappointing due to reflections.

We had a lady in our group who had limited mobility who was having knee replacement surgery 10 days after leaving the islands, The guides (and rest of travelers) were very helpful to her and we never felt that she held us up. Hopefully they will do the same for your husband and you both have a memorable 40th anniversary.

Corralejo, Spain
Destination Expert
for Corralejo, Canary Islands
Level Contributor
8,196 posts
240 reviews
151 helpful votes
9. Re: Galapagos Legend reviews???
Save

Thanks so much for that informative reply. Clambering over rocks is definitely beyond my husband's abilities nowadays, and shimmying over the side of a boat is doubtful too, but hopefully the group will be patient with him on the walks. I'm hoping he'll be able to get into a kayak and let his arms do the work at times. I'm also hoping he'll do a dive or two. We did a trial dive a few years back and he loved the experience. Water was always his element and nowadays even more so as it's so liberating. I unfortunately had panic attacks so it isn't something I can do again. We'll do some snorkelling together, with a bit of luck.

Reply to: Galapagos Legend reviews???
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.