We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Entry after recovery from COVID

Kitchener, Canada
Level Contributor
66 posts
51 reviews
98 helpful votes
Entry after recovery from COVID
Save

I realize you can provide proof of recovery with a positive PCR test however my query is about the timeframe. It seems the standard in other counties is 2 weeks following your positive PCR test but Ecuador/ Galapagos is instead using 30 days. Equador was not our first destination and it will be 30 days past the positive PCR test when we get there. We are wondering if we can get away with the doctor’s letter being written before we leave Canada, at 14 days post positive PCR test ? Or does the letter actually have to be dated 30 days or more after the PCR test? ..Or maybe it’s impossible to get an answer to something so specific :( I can’t imagine why it would matter but we are triple vaxxed.

13 replies to this topic
Elk Grove Village...
Level Contributor
13 posts
75 reviews
31 helpful votes
1. Re: Entry after recovery from COVID
Save

Trying to figure out the same thing. We will be 29 days between positive tests and we will be getting our letter on day 29. We will be traveling on day 30

Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
2,435 posts
140 reviews
133 helpful votes
2. Re: Entry after recovery from COVID
Save

If you need an Ecuadorian lab to certify that you are good to go after getting COVID you should contact Servilab, their doctors can visit you at their place and check your tests and issue a letter in Spanish so you can enter Galapagos without much hassle.

Their contact WhatsApp number is +593978659574.

Saludos cordiales,

Dennis Yépez

Guanguiltagua Expeditions

Elk Grove Village...
Level Contributor
13 posts
75 reviews
31 helpful votes
3. Re: Entry after recovery from COVID
Save

I was told today you can't enter Galapagos with a letter of recovery. I was told that you need to test negative. Is this true?

Edited: 21 January 2022, 12:56
Elk Grove Village...
Level Contributor
13 posts
75 reviews
31 helpful votes
4. Re: Entry after recovery from COVID
Save

I'm being advised the letter will only get you into Ecuador.

NYC
Level Contributor
1,035 posts
25 reviews
47 helpful votes
5. Re: Entry after recovery from COVID
Save

This is the official

https://www.turismo.gob.ec/udate-of-the-entry-requirements-to-ecuador/

If you scroll down it talks about recovery and although it doesn't specifically mention Galapagos it applies to the statement so one would think it covers both mainland and the islands.

canada
Level Contributor
483 posts
5 reviews
3 helpful votes
6. Re: Entry after recovery from COVID
Save

I’m surprised and disappointed to see that Ecuador still has an African travel ban in place. I’m pretty sure the cats out of the bag with Omicron now…

6 posts
7. Re: Entry after recovery from COVID
Save

I would like to know this as well. People got Covid can get a positive result for a couple months. I wonder if Galapagos has any policy for people recovered from Covid.

Elk Grove Village...
Level Contributor
13 posts
75 reviews
31 helpful votes
8. Re: Entry after recovery from COVID
Save

Yes of course we went over the official statement several times but my contact is in Ecuador and she spoke to a government official who confirmed that statement is specific to Ecuador and That although you may get lucky with whoever is screening you at the airport there is a very high chance they will not allow you to the islands. She confirmed cases of people being turned away. We went back and forth for several days as it's open to interpretation but you can't change flying 11 hours on interpretation.

Elk Grove Village...
Level Contributor
13 posts
75 reviews
31 helpful votes
9. Re: Entry after recovery from COVID
Save

Agreed Bobby nothing makes sense anymore.

canada
Level Contributor
483 posts
5 reviews
3 helpful votes
10. Re: Entry after recovery from COVID
Save

I am hopeful they will go back to a vaccine-only policy. This kind of uncertainty is crippling the travel industry for sure.

Reply to: Entry after recovery from COVID
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.