We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Worthwhile if no snorkeling? When to go?

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,236 posts
178 reviews
113 helpful votes
Worthwhile if no snorkeling? When to go?
Save

Hello:

As I don't have much to do, I'm dreaming of future vacations. I had always planned on snorkelling if we (dh and I) ever get to the Galapagos Islands, however dh informed me recently that he doesn't want to snorkel anymore.

We would be doing a land based tour, as I've previously had disembarkation syndrome following the only cruise I've ever been on, and would not risk that again.

My questions are:

1. Is it still worthwhile to go without snorkelling?

2. When would be the optimum time to go for varied wildlife viewing?

I had previously planned on going during March for the warmest and calmest water for snorkelling. However, if we won't be snorkelling, I would be looking for the calmest water (I would still do a couple of the shorter boat trips from our bases), best weather (not too hot and humid, not too rainy). I would likely look to fly between the islands.

Thanks,

Kay

5 replies to this topic
Lusaka, Zambia
Level Contributor
236 posts
24 reviews
6 helpful votes
1. Re: Worthwhile if no snorkeling? When to go?
Save

For me it would still be worthwhile without snorkeling (although you'd probably miss out on seeing sharks and having the experience of swimming/snorkeling with penguins, seal lions, marine iguanas, and/or sea turtles).

You can go still go hiking, on boat rides, and kayaking or stand-up paddleboarding if you're open to it. You'd still see lots of animals. We were on a cruise for our Galapagos trip and there were several folks who just snorkeled once or twice and skipped the other times - I myself never miss an opportunity to do an included activity (or snorkel) but that doesn't mean everyone has to do the same.

NYC
Level Contributor
1,035 posts
25 reviews
47 helpful votes
2. Re: Worthwhile if no snorkeling? When to go?
Save

I am going next month 1st time.. I can take or leave snorkeling so I plan to only go a couple of times from my cruse however I have friends of a friend that went on an 8 day cruise, didn't snorkel at all and said they still thought it was one of the most amazing trips they had ever been on.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,236 posts
178 reviews
113 helpful votes
3. Re: Worthwhile if no snorkeling? When to go?
Save

Thanks for your replies. It's the seeing sharks part that dh isn't keen on.

K

Crozet, Virginia
Level Contributor
278 posts
276 reviews
261 helpful votes
4. Re: Worthwhile if no snorkeling? When to go?
Save

We did exclusively land based tour and you can see alot and not go into the water - like the variety of birds, sea lions and marine iguanas laying on the beach and in the city depending on what island, giant tortoises, etc.

I'm an avid snorkeler and I wanted to see sharks and I rarely saw them so I think your dh is "safe".

We avoided the ferries because a couple of us are prone to seasickness and flew between islands w Emetebe which in Santa Cruz is a hassle because you have to fly out of Baltra which requires taxi to the channel, the short ferry boat, and a bus. We heard mixed results of the ferries - some were sick, some were not.

There is a link somewhere which shows the different animals you can see throughout the year. I don't have it handy but you can google it.

Edited: 18 January 2022, 09:41
Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
10 helpful votes
5. Re: Worthwhile if no snorkeling? When to go?
Save

Hi Jon, We are going to Galapagos in March 2022. We love to snorkel and are wondering about the snorkeling equipment provided aboard the Lindblad cruise. They will have snorkels and fins available as well as short wetsuits. One of their sites recommended renting a full wet suit to protect from cold waters. Did you find that necessary? Any other packing recommendations. Thanks, Liz W

Reply to: Worthwhile if no snorkeling? When to go?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.