We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Galapagos cruises with kids?

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
22 posts
Galapagos cruises with kids?
Save

We are planning a Galapagos trip for late March/ Early April with elementary-school aged kids. The cruises marked "family cruises" are beyond our budget. Does anyone have experience with the Letty, Grand Majestic, Aqua, or Beluga and have insights about how they would be for kids? There is a large price discrepancy and am wondering about that as well. Thanks so much for your help!

11 replies to this topic
Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
4,564 posts
19 reviews
21 helpful votes
1. Re: Galapagos cruises with kids?
Save

Dear Blue,

we took our boys (7 and 10) on the Letty a few years back (2010). A family departure means you're likely to have other kids on board, and that your own children might find friends and thus free up the parents a little. It's a good idea. Our was a wonderful family adventure. It's important that your children be comfortable swimmers and good with mask and snorkel if they are to enjoy the undersea world - which is a big part of the thrill. You generally get what you pay for in Galapagos - but the ships you cite above have good reputations.

I hope that helps.

Warmest regards,

Heather Blenkiron

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
181 posts
9 reviews
7 helpful votes
2. Re: Galapagos cruises with kids?
Save

How old are your kids? We are hoping to do a land based trip this February, but If covid interferes we are contemplating rescheduling for late March and doing a cruise also.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
22 posts
3. Re: Galapagos cruises with kids?
Save

Heather thanks so much, this is a big help. It's a question of at least $2000 more per person, so that's why I am not sure.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
22 posts
4. Re: Galapagos cruises with kids?
Save

Hi - they are daughters, ages 9 and 11.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
181 posts
9 reviews
7 helpful votes
5. Re: Galapagos cruises with kids?
Save

Aw bummer. My daughter is much younger. I'd be happy to share what I find though I'd we do go the cruise route. The best piece of advice I can give is that if your dates are solid, go through the ship itineraries (there are many websites that list and sell spots) and see what your options are.

When I first looked I thought we had a lot of choices but with our flights already booked, I found we only had a handful left after we factored in dates, pricing, and itineraries.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
22 posts
6. Re: Galapagos cruises with kids?
Save

Too bad - I'll keep you posted!

Riverside...
Level Contributor
112 posts
12 reviews
12 helpful votes
7. Re: Galapagos cruises with kids?
Save

I just got back from a trip with my 3 sons (11, 9 & 9) and my two nephews (12 & 9). Overall they had a really good time, but they did get a little bored on some of the hikes. They loved the snorkeling and were able to entertain themselves on board. Each land excursion they'd be interested for each "new" animal or thing to look at, but as the guide started talking and going into more detail they would start losing interest. They still loved the trip and are asking when we can go back...

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
22 posts
8. Re: Galapagos cruises with kids?
Save

That is really helpful to know. Which boat do you go on?

Riverside...
Level Contributor
112 posts
12 reviews
12 helpful votes
9. Re: Galapagos cruises with kids?
Save

Tip Top II

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
22 posts
10. Re: Galapagos cruises with kids?
Save

Ah ok - no trips during our window.

Reply to: Galapagos cruises with kids?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.