We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Covid Test Question - any way to avoid the brain biopsy?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
6 posts
21 reviews
49 helpful votes
Covid Test Question - any way to avoid the brain biopsy?
Save

Hi all,

We've read that the Covid PCR tests in Quito are the really deep ones? For those who are Ecuador experts - is that true? Or are there places to find the milder variety?

Thanks!

Herb

9 replies to this topic
Quito, Ecuador
Destination Expert
for Ecuador
Level Contributor
1,992 posts
59 reviews
16 helpful votes
1. Re: Covid Test Question - any way to avoid the brain biopsy?
Save

There are several labs that offer saliva tests now. I know EcuaAmerican does, but there are others as well.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
6 posts
21 reviews
49 helpful votes
2. Re: Covid Test Question - any way to avoid the brain biopsy?
Save

Thanks very much. I think to get to the Galapagos you need a PCR. We're talking May, so I was curious about the Ecuadorian PCRs.

Quito, Ecuador
Destination Expert
for Ecuador
Level Contributor
1,992 posts
59 reviews
16 helpful votes
3. Re: Covid Test Question - any way to avoid the brain biopsy?
Save

You do need a PCR for Galapagos, but there are saliva PCR tests available in Quito

http://www.ecua-american.com/pcr-en-saliva/

https://www.metrored.med.ec/promociones/pcr-saliva

There will be others as well.

Otherwise, you might find a lab that's will only take a throat sample, but a lot will depend on who takes your sample on the day.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
6 posts
21 reviews
49 helpful votes
4. Re: Covid Test Question - any way to avoid the brain biopsy?
Save

Thanks. Fingers crossed!!!

Saint Simons...
Level Contributor
44 posts
287 reviews
139 helpful votes
5. Re: Covid Test Question - any way to avoid the brain biopsy?
Save

We have booked a Celebrity cruise Galapagos cruise with three nights in Quito. Celebrity requires us to take the RT-PCR test to enter the country. That does appear to be a country requirement. Also, we must take another to fly to the islands.

However, the CDC appears to be doing away with that test:

https://www.cdc.gov/csels/dls/locs/2021/07-21-2021-lab-alert-Changes_CDC_RT-PCR_SARS-CoV-2_Testing_1.html

San Diego...
Level Contributor
6 posts
21 reviews
49 helpful votes
6. Re: Covid Test Question - any way to avoid the brain biopsy?
Save

Hi, we're doing that same trip on the Flora. If I'm correct the cruise lines/tour operators are simply requiring what Ecuador requires; similar to airlines – it's the country, not the airline. We were just curious because of some recent tests we've seen performed in Ecuador, and some posts we've read... that their PCR tests are still the deep ones. We were in France recently, and it was far different; ditto for those we get here. Of course, a few months can make a big difference in what is required.

Laurinburg, North...
Level Contributor
105 posts
329 reviews
86 helpful votes
7. Re: Covid Test Question - any way to avoid the brain biopsy?
Save

i was counting on being able to take the saliva test so booked with Ecua-American, but when they got to my place they told me that it wasn't valid for US re-entry so they did the deep nasal one. It was my first time doing it so I thought that was standard--does getting them in US not go as deep then?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
6 posts
21 reviews
49 helpful votes
8. Re: Covid Test Question - any way to avoid the brain biopsy?
Save

Where I live, the standard RT-PCR at UCSD (University California-San Diego) is a single nostril, not deep. The first time they did that to me I wondered why it wasn't deep, which I had feared. They said the testing had evolved, and it wasn't necessary. I've been there multiple times, same thing. I have no idea what the protocol is elsewhere.

Northville, Michigan
Level Contributor
36 posts
33 reviews
48 helpful votes
9. Re: Covid Test Question - any way to avoid the brain biopsy?
Save

We just returned from Ecuador and GI. We took both a PCR test and antigen test (on two separate occasions) at Medical VIP at the Quito airport. They are NOT the deep brain ones. I was nervous about this as we were traveling with three kids.

The PCR tests were definitely more than a light swirl, but not the nasopharyngeal (brain) swabs.

Antigen tests were saliva.

Reply to: Covid Test Question - any way to avoid the brain biopsy?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.