We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Omicron and Galapagos travel

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
4,564 posts
19 reviews
21 helpful votes
Omicron and Galapagos travel
Save

The Omicron variant of COVID is highly contagious / easy to catch. Be aware that if you test positive before your flight to Ecuador, you won't be able to board your plane. If you need to test again on mainland Ecuador before your flight to Galapagos, you'll need to quarantine for several days on the mainland. If you test positive before your return flight home, you'll again have to spend several days in quarantine before being able to board your flight.

This is happening to some people now.

So - be EXTRA vigilant before any airplane travel these days.

Warmest regards,

Heather Blenkiron

CNH Tours

32 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
101 posts
4 reviews
2 helpful votes
1. Re: Omicron and Galapagos travel
Save

Is Galapagos currently experiencing a surge? I could not find any statistics on that which would be helpful with making a decision. Our trip is planned for Feb 11-21st and our flights are non-refundable, but sadly from what you are saying it seems it would be safer to not go. It would be ironic not to catch covid over the 2 years of the pandemic in NYC (and I work in a hospital!), and then catch it at the end of the world. It is unfortunate that it is now a likely possibility.

Quito, Ecuador
Destination Expert
for Ecuador
Level Contributor
1,992 posts
59 reviews
16 helpful votes
2. Re: Omicron and Galapagos travel
Save

I don't know about Galapagos, but Omicron is all over Quito now. It's not being reflected in the statistics because most people aren't bothering to get tested, but if one person tests positive, and then the rest of the household gets sick within a few days, you can be pretty sure they all have Covid. Because Ecuador has such a high vaccination rate, most people only have very mild symptoms from breakthrough infections, so they don't need any sort of medical care, but it does cause a potential problem for travelers.

NYC
Level Contributor
923 posts
20 reviews
12 helpful votes
3. Re: Omicron and Galapagos travel
Save

@heather

I was trying to find the 'official' site for information, I found the embassy page but didn't seem to find the info; do you have it by chance?

Also do you know if I test a day or two before my flight to Quito and am negative, can I go straight to Galapagos without trying to find another test in Quito assuming it's all within the 72 hour window?

Quito, Ecuador
Destination Expert
for Ecuador
Level Contributor
1,992 posts
59 reviews
16 helpful votes
4. Re: Omicron and Galapagos travel
Save

WrldTrvler1111, what information are you looking for?

Yes, you can use the same test if you can make all the flights within the 72-hour limit.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
13,333 posts
110 reviews
132 helpful votes
5. Re: Omicron and Galapagos travel
Save

WTIII, the US State Dept has information on every country. You might consider enrolling in the SMART Traveler program so you get alerts and updates in your inbox. There is a link to it here, on the Embassy website https://ec.usembassy.gov/

NYC
Level Contributor
923 posts
20 reviews
12 helpful votes
6. Re: Omicron and Galapagos travel
Save

@HLJHLJ Thanks I thought so on the test. I was just looking for an 'official' Ecuador site to make sure if I got that I can cross my T's dot my I's etc :)

Also so I can cross reference that with the potential of leaving Ecuador for other countries

2 posts
7. Re: Omicron and Galapagos travel
Save

Heather, we are planning on taking a PCR test 2 days before our flight to Quito, then another test at our Quito hotel 48 hours before our flight to Galapagos. That will be sufficient yes?

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
4,564 posts
19 reviews
21 helpful votes
8. Re: Omicron and Galapagos travel
Save

Dear Pizzas2000,

So long as you have a negative result of a qualitative RT-PCR test, performed up to 72 hours prior to boarding your flight to Ecuador, and the same prior to boarding your flight to Galapagos, you are good to go!

Don't forget your proof of full vaccine (+ 2 weeks), and for Galapagos, your transit control card.

Warmest regards,

Heather Blenkiron

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
4,564 posts
19 reviews
21 helpful votes
9. Re: Omicron and Galapagos travel
Save

Dear WT,

You will find all Government of Ecuador Covid-19 protocols here: https://www.salud.gob.ec/acuerdos-ministeriales-documentos-normativos-coronavirus/.

Warmest regards,

Heather Blenkiron

CNH Tours

Riverside...
Level Contributor
112 posts
12 reviews
12 helpful votes
10. Re: Omicron and Galapagos travel
Save

My family is currently being impacted. After 2 weeks in the Galapagos we took antigen tests yesterday morning in anticipation of flying home today. Two of my 3 children tested positive on the antigen test. We tested them again this morning & positive again. We then had them take a PCR test to start the 10 day quarantine clock. Both boy’s PCR tests just came back negative so now we’re trying to figure out if they can fly home tomorrow or if they still need to quarantine for 10 days. My other son & I are boarding our flight now. My husband is currently in quarantine with our other 2 kids…

Reply to: Omicron and Galapagos travel
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.