We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Claro 4g for zoom video calls

Gainesville...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Claro 4g for zoom video calls
Save

Hi. I was planning to go to the galapagos next month but will need to make 1-2 hours of video calls each day. I see that the wifi will not be feasible for this but I can get a Claro hotspot for more reliable 3g or 4g data. Do you know whether this Claro data is sufficient to make stable zoom video calls with the video on?

Thanks for your help!

5 replies to this topic
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
233 posts
9 reviews
19 helpful votes
1. Re: Claro 4g for zoom video calls
Save

I purchased a Claro SIM card and got LTE in San Cristobal when we were docked near town and also while walking through town. Never tried video calls, but I imagine it might be ok. I also had pretty good cell signal in Santa Cruz. No signal when we traveled to Seymour, Isabella, Fernandina, Rabida, or Bartholome.

Gainesville...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Claro 4g for zoom video calls
Save

Thanks for your reply Lileor and info about the signal. I know there's signal but I would need to know if the LTE, 3G, or 4G data that you pick up is good enough for video calls with the video on? Thanks for the help everyone!

West Wycombe...
Level Contributor
2,789 posts
84 reviews
64 helpful votes
3. Re: Claro 4g for zoom video calls
Save

I'm less interested in bandwidth intensive uses like video, but would like to have periodic access to digital comms (eg. email, Messenger, WhatsApp) during our 10 day cruise. Do you know how good the 3G/4G coverage is offshore from the various islands ?

Bruce

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
233 posts
9 reviews
19 helpful votes
4. Re: Claro 4g for zoom video calls
Save

Bruce - I only had reception on and not too far offshore from San Cristobal, Santa Cruz, and I think the southern part of Isabela. Basically the islands that are inhabited by people. Also traveled to North Seymour, Fernandina, Rabida, and Bartholomew on our cruise and did not have get signal on those islands.

Funny, I've been in the Maldives forum researching for a possible trip and recognized your username 😊

Gainesville...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: Claro 4g for zoom video calls
Save

BTW, CLARO sim card in a phone with 4G works very well for video calls from both Santa Cruz and San Cristobal. You may have to find somewhere in the towns (Puerto Ayora or Puerto Baquerizo Moreno) that has full bars of 4G but with full service, the video call will be stable and good quality for long video calls. There was an occasional blurriness or voice delay but it was sufficient and reliable for important video calls and could hotspot to a computer to share screens.

Reply to: Claro 4g for zoom video calls
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.