We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Extra time between flights

Williamsburg...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Extra time between flights
Save

We arrive to GPS (Baltra airport) at 9:37am on Sunday, Dec 12, and are thinking about taking an Emetebe flight to Isabela island at 1pm. Any suggestions on something to do between the two flights? I don't think there is enough time to travel to El chato reserve and back.

Also, if we decide to taxi to Puerto Ayora and then ferry instead of flying is there an afternoon ferry on a Sunday?

5 replies to this topic
Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
2,383 posts
139 reviews
128 helpful votes
1. Re: Extra time between flights
Save

Ferries work every day.

There won't be any time to do any visit at Santa Cruz island while you wait for your inter island flight unfortunately.

Saludos cordiales,

Dennis Yépez

Guanguiltagua Expeditions

Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
2,383 posts
139 reviews
128 helpful votes
2. Re: Extra time between flights
Save

If you take a taxi to Puerto Ayora you can ask the driver to stop for you at the Twin Craters and later at the Chato or Primicias Ranches in order to watch giant turtles. After that you can go to town and board your ferry to Isabela or San Cristobal.

Saludos cordiales,

Dennis Yépez

Guanguiltagua Expeditions

Quito, Ecuador
Destination Expert
for Ecuador
Level Contributor
1,961 posts
59 reviews
16 helpful votes
3. Re: Extra time between flights
Save

There is a walking trail on Baltra. It's a circuit of about 3 miles, and it's signposted right from the airport. It's definitely not the most exciting thing to do on the Galapagos, but it's fine to kill some time between flights.

We got some food from the food court at the airport and walked about 1/3 round to where the path reached the coast, then stopped there to eat, admire the view and watch the birds. There were a few birds and iguanas around and one sea lion in the distance. Then we finished the circuit. It's an easy walk although the path isn't completely obvious in a couple of places, but you can't go far wrong really.

I found a map for it somewhere. I'll see if I can find it again.

Quito, Ecuador
Destination Expert
for Ecuador
Level Contributor
1,961 posts
59 reviews
16 helpful votes
4. Re: Extra time between flights
Save

I don't think this is the map I used, but it gives you the idea. If you don't read Spanish, Google Translate is fine.

https://www.wikiloc.com/hiking-trails/paseo-alrededor-de-aeropuerto-de-baltra-19088098

Level Contributor
219 posts
27 reviews
6 helpful votes
5. Re: Extra time between flights
Save

No time to go to El Chato and back if you fly. Maybe just take the bus to the Itabaca Channel and admire it. There are baby sharks swimming around sometimes. Sea lions at a distance and some tropical birds.

The afternoon ferry to Isabela leaves at 3pm. If you decide to take it, then you could visit one of the reserves and then got to the pier. Book the ferries in advance though.

Reply to: Extra time between flights
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.