We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

WiFi (Internet) to work

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
444 posts
29 reviews
21 helpful votes
WiFi (Internet) to work
Save

Hi All,

Hope you guys are doing great!!

We  are planning to work from Galapagos for 5 days and have additional days for touring. Santa Cruz and Cristobal are 2 islands that we are planning to visit.  We need very good Wi-Fi. Is it feasible to get good Wi-Fi to work? If yes, which hotels will you suggest ?

Thanks

7 replies to this topic
Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
4,564 posts
19 reviews
21 helpful votes
1. Re: WiFi (Internet) to work
Save

Dear CH,

it all depends on what you mean by "very good". I was able to watch netflix when I was last in Galapagos - but you may not be able to zoom with much confidence. Phone data is usually more reliable. There is a project to lay an undersea cable and initial contracting for that work is underway - but that won't be ready for a few years yet.

Warmest regards,

Heather Blenkiron

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
20 posts
25 reviews
16 helpful votes
2. Re: WiFi (Internet) to work
Save

Hi Heather, Would you mind sharing where you got the internet to work well enough for Netflix? A specific hotel? I'm wondering if I can work from the Galapagos but it's not sounding likely. No need to Zoom but may need to call (phone) into meetings.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
4,564 posts
19 reviews
21 helpful votes
3. Re: WiFi (Internet) to work
Save

This was at the Ikala hotel.

I'm not particularly convinced that one place is better than another. They all tap into the same service at the end of the day. It may be better to use the internet during low use periods (early AM...). I was not able to access by on-line bookkeeping platform while in the islands (QuickBooks) for instance, while I could access NetFlix (if I remember). Email worked pretty well.

Warmest regafds,

Heather Blenkiron

Level Contributor
58 posts
4. Re: WiFi (Internet) to work
Save

Here now @ a private home and the connection is spotty.

Not good enough for working in our view.

We are fortunate that we don’t need to work from here or anywhere…

Gainesville...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: WiFi (Internet) to work
Save

Hi, do you know if using Claro for data would allow for doing zoom calls with the video on? From Santa Cruz and San Cristobal. I've seen that you can get 3g or 4g data but has anyone tested using it for video calls? Thanks for your help!

Gainesville...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: WiFi (Internet) to work
Save

BTW, CLARO sim card in a phone with 4G works very well for video calls from both Santa Cruz and San Cristobal. You may have to find somewhere in the towns (Puerto Ayora or Puerto Baquerizo Moreno) that has full bars of 4G but with full service, the video call will be stable and good quality for long video calls. There was an occasional blurriness or voice delay but it was sufficient and reliable for important video calls and could hotspot to a computer to share screens.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
444 posts
29 reviews
21 helpful votes
7. Re: WiFi (Internet) to work
Save

hi @Tobias, thanks for providing update on CLARO.

Reply to: WiFi (Internet) to work
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.