We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

yachts/boats more geared for active adults?

Boston...
Level Contributor
259 posts
2 reviews
yachts/boats more geared for active adults?
Save

Not sure if this exists but are there any boats/yachts that are less family/kid focused and cater more to active adults? We're definitely "early to bed, early to rise" folks, so getting up early and starting the day's activities definitely suits us. Are there specific boats that you'd recommend?

9 replies to this topic
Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
13,154 posts
109 reviews
131 helpful votes
1. Re: yachts/boats more geared for active adults?
Save

I've been twice, and both times they were early to bed, early to rise. A smaller boat with a good itinerary will leave you pretty zonked out by the end of the day. If I ever went again, I would choose this boat https://www.cnhtours.com/signature-tours/active-galapagos-on-the-samba/ The Samba routinely gets rave reviews on the forum.

I've worked with CNH in the past and would do so again.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
2,640 posts
95 reviews
86 helpful votes
2. Re: yachts/boats more geared for active adults?
Save

use the process of elimination to narrow down from a pool of some 30-40 boats.

with cruise itinerary also a key factor, you can do this in no time

* boat amenities <-> passenger demographics

some boats have amenities/activities that tend to appeal more to seniors or family/kids. not saying all seniors or kids are sedentary or cant wake up for AM landing, but when there is a difference, naturalist guide has to be fair and cater to everyone's needs.

* cruise price <-> passenger demographics

young/active backpackers or most flashpackers will rarely ride on ultra-lux boats

* boat size (16 vs 16+) <-> number of naturalist guides

20pax boat needs 2 guides if full occupancy. 16 pax boat not required. some boats have 2 guides even if not anywhere near full occupancy such that it's almost a private tour to each group of passengers. # guides matter to a certain extent because if there is a difference in interest or fitness level among passengers, then the group can be divided easily into two subgroups without needing compromise from either.

* go-getter attitude of naturalist guides

- not something really within your control. but some will have the attitude of "xyz boat with 50 pax will be anchoring with us today. we need to be awake at 5:30 tomorrow and be at landing at least one hour before them"

Boston...
Level Contributor
259 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: yachts/boats more geared for active adults?
Save

THanks for replying, this is very helpful! The samba seems to have a great itinerary, I'm only concerned about two tall people fitting comfortably in the bed, but I'll keep researching. Thanks for the feedback about CNH as well, they seem very highly regarded here.

Boston...
Level Contributor
259 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: yachts/boats more geared for active adults?
Save

"* go-getter attitude of naturalist guides

- not something really within your control. but some will have the attitude of "xyz boat with 50 pax will be anchoring with us today. we need to be awake at 5:30 tomorrow and be at landing at least one hour before them"

This is something I was trying to convey but couldn't put into words. That's our vibe. Like you said, hard to tell as it isn't something specifically advertised, but something I can hope for...

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
13,154 posts
109 reviews
131 helpful votes
5. Re: yachts/boats more geared for active adults?
Save

Okay, two tall people is an important detail. Ztsipapu's very detailed blog mentions the boat on her second trip accommodating her tall husband. https://galapagos2009.wordpress.com/practicalities/the-ms-mary-anne-2013/3/

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
1,919 posts
27 reviews
40 helpful votes
6. Re: yachts/boats more geared for active adults?
Save

Yep, AZ is correct. We were very interested in the Samba for our 2nd trip. But we worked with Heather, who was able to get us the bunk sizes (a bit short) and we could tell by looking at the cabin arrangements that the bunks were hemmed in on both ends by the walls. So no opportunity for my tall husband to stretch out over the end, which is something he typically does in such situations. (This of course assumes that nothing has change on the Samba since we were figuring things out in 2011 or 2012.)

If I return for a 3rd trip with a different--and shorter--husband, I would definitely go on the Samba. :)

Tina

trip reports (and much more) at https://galapagos2009.wordpress.com/

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
4,489 posts
19 reviews
21 helpful votes
7. Re: yachts/boats more geared for active adults?
Save

Ha ha Tina! I hope your husband doesn't read these posts!

FYI, Juan is combing the East coast of the USA these very days, meeting up with ship builders and looking at ships for sale. He does plan on a ship with beds for taller folks, among other things... So, perhaps on your next trip, you'll be able to take your current husband.

;-)

Warmest regards to you,

Heather

Boston...
Level Contributor
259 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: yachts/boats more geared for active adults?
Save

Thank you both for the input and links! I was afraid i'd seem too picky with not wanting a bed that's hemmed in on any side - but it seems others have this concern as well. Might seem trivial to some but we would like to remain married haha :)

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
2,640 posts
95 reviews
86 helpful votes
9. Re: yachts/boats more geared for active adults?
Save

for a bed not hemmed in, you will need a bigger boat, either a bigger yacht or catamaran. it's only hemmed in when there's limited space, due to either the cabins being small or the boats being small forcing the cabins to be small. and bunk beds are used to maximize the limited space available. if cabin is bigger there is no reason to use bunk beds

Reply to: yachts/boats more geared for active adults?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.