We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Artwork

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
12 posts
17 reviews
9 helpful votes
Artwork
Save

Hi everyone,

We’re heading to the Galapagos for a 7 day cruise at the end of October. We are soooo excited!

Generally, we like to buy local artwork (not trinkets, truly art) when we travel.

Are there any studios or galleries people recommend?

Thanks,

Jill

2 replies to this topic
Cumbaya, Ecuador
Level Contributor
320 posts
13 reviews
8 helpful votes
1. Re: Artwork
Save

Hello Jillin

On Charles Darwin street in Puerto Ayora you will find some stores that sales mainly figures make out of wood , and jewelry, as there is not many elements they can used or authorize to bring from mainland , there is a nice store name Aymara but they sale very few products from Ecuador or Galapagos , they bring things from Peru and other parts of South America and you can imagine prices are high.

Good luck

Regards

Paul Bustos

Andesconexion

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
4,462 posts
18 reviews
21 helpful votes
2. Re: Artwork
Save

Dear Jill,

the art scene in Galapagos is nascent. The population is small, many are first / second generation immigrants from the mainland with more of a frontier attitude to earning a living. But things are picking up. I'm proud to say that my little company, CNH Tours, has been highlighting and supporting the art and work of Magno Benett for 15 years. We use his art on our website. Magno has gone from being a lone / struggling artist with little community support, to a recognized community leader during that time (we had very little to do with that). He has been a longstanding promoter of the arts among the youth of Galapagos - so much so that we was appointed as the head of the Galapagos culture centre during the last administration.

A few years ago, we commissioned 7 pieces from Magno and had them hung in the hotel we used. Guests could buy the art, and he would replace it. They are rather large pieces (I have 2 in my home), about 5ft x 2ft. For the story and sampling of his works, see: https://www.cnhtours.com/news/2019/3/22/magic-realism-wildlife-art-cnh-tours-commissions-magno-bennett/

During COVID times, those 7 pieces are hung in the office of the Sulla Travel Agency, a small agency on a Puerto Ayora back-street. They are available for purchase. Ask around and people will tell you how to get there.

Here's a short article on Magno's work: https://www.nanmagazine.com/en/magno-bennett-art-and-parcel-of-galapagos/

Send me a private note if you'd like more info.

Warmest regards,

Heather Blenkiron

Reply to: Artwork
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.