We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Medical insurance for Galapagos

Memphis
Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
Medical insurance for Galapagos
Save

Hi,

I am planning a trip to Galapagos next month. Is medical insurance required to go to Galapagos at this time? I read requirements for a proof of negative covid test (within 96 arrival) and Salvoconducto. Not sure about medical insurance. Thanks!

8 replies to this topic
Hoboken, New Jersey
Level Contributor
11 posts
19 reviews
13 helpful votes
1. Re: Medical insurance for Galapagos
Save

Yes. This is a requirement. I believe it was a requirement before COVID. I'm not sure how closely they enforce it so it may be possible to get in without it but really you should be travelling with travel insurance that provides medical coverage especially with somewhere as remote as the Galapagos. The updated state department travel advisory may make it difficult to find insurance so be sure to look at the terms and conditions carefully.

Edited: 12 May 2021, 15:11
USA
Level Contributor
83 posts
2. Re: Medical insurance for Galapagos
Save

Before the pandemic, I have been to Galapagos a few times and also spent time in Quito. At no time did anyone ask me for proof of insurance. But things may have changed during the pandemic

Level Contributor
33 posts
3. Re: Medical insurance for Galapagos
Save

I just returned and was not asked to show insurance

Memphis
Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: Medical insurance for Galapagos
Save

@Gunny23 Thank you for sharing your recent experience!

Hoboken, New Jersey
Level Contributor
11 posts
19 reviews
13 helpful votes
5. Re: Medical insurance for Galapagos
Save

Apologies, I was referring to the 2018 update to entry rules, however, it does not appear they were ever implemented: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294310-i6637-k10587349-o40-Galapagos_new_entry_rules_travel_insurance_accommodation-Galapagos_Islands.html

That being said, for COVID it is a requirement, but based on Gunny's experience they may not actually be checking it.

http://www.ecuador.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/Actualizacion-galapagos-ingles.pdf

Level Contributor
38 posts
2 reviews
5 helpful votes
6. Re: Medical insurance for Galapagos
Save

I will be traveling to Galapagos in June. In online research,

I see that medical insurance is required. I do not see that this medical insurance must cover COVID. Does anyone know if just travel medical insurance is sufficient or is COVID insurance required? Are there any insurance companies preferred by Ecuador?

Oakland, California
2 posts
1 review
7. Re: Medical insurance for Galapagos
Save

The research I've done says travel insurance is treating COVID like any other disease, and is covered under the illness clause of your insurance

Level Contributor
38 posts
2 reviews
5 helpful votes
8. Re: Medical insurance for Galapagos
Save

Thank you. I went with an affordable policy that says that it covers COVID like any other illness.

Reply to: Medical insurance for Galapagos
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.