We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Covid-19 Testing in Quito Airport

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
3 helpful votes
Covid-19 Testing in Quito Airport
Save

Hi everyone!

My partner and I are traveling to the Galapagos in July from the United States. At the moment, to re-enter the U. S., you need to show a negative Covid-19 test even if you're fully vaccinated (which we both will be soon), and we're not sure if federal guidance on this will be relaxed by July for international travelers. On the assumption that we will still need to present a negative PRC or antigen test, we're planning to try to get a test at the Quito airport before our return to the U. S., as we know that there is testing there provided by Medical VIP. However, I've seen conflicting information about when this testing is available. On their website, they appear to be saying that they are open 24 hours, but I saw an account from a Galapagos tour operator claiming that they only actually open for a few hours each day and close just before our Quito flight is supposed to get in (we would get in after 5 pm). We are just planning on getting an antigen test, which they promise results for in around 45 minutes.

Does anyone have firsthand experience with getting tested by Medical VIP at Quito's airport? Does anyone know if they are truly open 24/7 for testing and if they got back test results as quickly as they promised?

Thanks so much!

7 replies to this topic
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
114 posts
6 reviews
4 helpful votes
1. Re: Covid-19 Testing in Quito Airport
Save

Hi! I posted a similar question. I had heard through a travel agent that the hours were limited but people on here were saying it was 24 hours. I sent Medical VIP a WhatsApp message and they replied saying rapid tests were available 24 hours a day.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
85 posts
2. Re: Covid-19 Testing in Quito Airport
Save

Is the testing at Quito Airport truly 24/7? Is it open on Sundays?

Do you need an appointment for the test?

Has anyone used their service recently?

Many thanks.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
31 posts
4 reviews
2 helpful votes
3. Re: Covid-19 Testing in Quito Airport
Save

I just called medical VIP this morning. They told me that to get a rapid antigen test you do not need an appointment it takes 45 minutes t get results and you can come anytime. They are open 24 hours a day. For a PCR test if you arrive before 10 AM they will have the results by the end of the day. If you arrive any time after 10 AM they will have the results by the end of the following day.No appointments are needed for either tests (They are open 24 hours and are located I believe near the international terminal but I cannot confirm that)

Marion, North...
Level Contributor
45 posts
24 reviews
17 helpful votes
4. Re: Covid-19 Testing in Quito Airport
Save

Thank you so much. Here is where you can find the Official resolution: https://www.gestionderiesgos.gob.ec/resoluciones-coe-nacional-de-10-de-junio-de-2021/

Boston...
Level Contributor
258 posts
52 reviews
24 helpful votes
5. Re: Covid-19 Testing in Quito Airport
Save

We did testing at Medical VIP at the airport last month. It is walk-in only for the rapid test. There's a posted sign that says results take an hour, but we had ours back in 40 minutes. (Depending on how many other people are there, you could wind up waiting a bit before you get your test. There was a line waiting to get tested when we left with our results).

Los Angeles...
1 post
6. Re: Covid-19 Testing in Quito Airport
Save

What was the cost of the Rapid Antigen testing? I'm asking because we are planning on taking a group to Ecuador in Spring 2022.

Marion, North...
Level Contributor
45 posts
24 reviews
17 helpful votes
7. Re: Covid-19 Testing in Quito Airport
Save

Normally it is $40, but for some reason they only charged us $36. It was super easy. Just went out the door of the airport, crossed the street and pulled our suitcases up the ramp of the building there, and the testing center was immediately on the left inside the building. It didn't take long at all for our group to get their tests and the results. Probably 40 minutes total, if that.

Reply to: Covid-19 Testing in Quito Airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.