We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I book a trip to Galapagos now?

3 posts
Should I book a trip to Galapagos now?
Save

It's always been a dream to go to Galapagos and I have a chance to book a 10 day trip there in March (including a cruise and a couple of days mainland and on Santa Cruz). However, I'm starting to get cold feet with the Covid situation. We're a family of 4 with 2 kids (youngest is 9) and I wouldn't want to get stuck (and what if we get sick or have to quarantine while in Equador!) or have the trip interrupted if someone happens to get a positive test. We're returning to the US after the trip and we work and have school so on a very tight timeframe. Would you do it?

21 replies to this topic
Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
12,824 posts
109 reviews
131 helpful votes
1. Re: Should I book a trip to Galapagos now?
Save

People are traveling, and reporting having a good time, but with the added stresses of locating test sites and getting test results back before flying. With the burdens of a tight time frame and school and work responsibilities, why put yourselves through all that? Travel can be stressful enough in normal times, and in my opinion not worth going now.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
4,335 posts
18 reviews
21 helpful votes
2. Re: Should I book a trip to Galapagos now?
Save

Dear Mia,

everyone has a different risk aversion level. You'll have to make the call yourself. You can certainly get very good deals right now (to those who take the risks go the spoils...). As AZ notes above, I suspect that those travelling these days are less families and more young folks.

Warmest regards,

Heather Blenkiron

Level Contributor
33 posts
3. Re: Should I book a trip to Galapagos now?
Save

We are traveling with our 11 year old. We were originally scheduled to go last July but are now scheduled to go at the end of April. We had the same concerns however also felt like this could be an opportune time to go...crowds are down, our boat is only 1/2 full as of now. To be able to visit the Galapagos and have it nearly to yourself is pretty remarkable. (Nearly to yourself is a bit of an exaggeration but you get what I mean). Worst case...yes, our boat may get quarantined or we may get stuck in Ecuador. But we will make the most of whatever happens. We pulled our daughter this year and are homeschooling her so we have that flexibility but even if not, she would learn/experience more in the Galapagos for a week than she ever could in a classroom. However, if you would be worried the whole time and not able to enjoy yourself, another time might be better.

Neptune Beach, FL
Level Contributor
4,119 posts
116 reviews
147 helpful votes
4. Re: Should I book a trip to Galapagos now?
Save

The longer you can conveniently put off the trip, the easier and smoother the trip will be when you take it. With Covid-19 vaccination well underway things will be progressively lightening up. But lightening up will occur faster in rich countries that have lots of vaccine than in countries that don't, and the picture of getting back to normal will not be homogeneous around the world.

3 posts
5. Re: Should I book a trip to Galapagos now?
Save

Thank you all for the feedback. We got an amazing deal on a cruise and decided to take the chance and go. I'm so excited and hope for a smooth sailing.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
167 posts
16 reviews
5 helpful votes
6. Re: Should I book a trip to Galapagos now?
Save

I´m still scheduled to take students down to Galapagos in late June. Still keeping my fingers crossed that we will be able to do it. We have until the beginning of May to decide.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
4,335 posts
18 reviews
21 helpful votes
7. Re: Should I book a trip to Galapagos now?
Save

Dear Flyers,

you can do it as long as you go through the various hoops (PCR tests etc...).

Heather

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
167 posts
16 reviews
5 helpful votes
8. Re: Should I book a trip to Galapagos now?
Save

Yes, that´s what I´m hoping. I guess today´s hoops may not be here in a few months. We shall see!

Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
1,977 posts
139 reviews
124 helpful votes
9. Re: Should I book a trip to Galapagos now?
Save

These times are amazing times for the real travellers...

In December of 2020 I spent 8 days leading an scuba trip on board of the Calipso dive boat and another 5 days in Santa Cruz and Isabela doing some sightseeing with a group of travellers of our company.

Our clients got amazed to see that there were less humans than ever, the presence of birds like frigate birds and blue footed boobies on areas which are not very close to the shores was dramatically higher than 2019, the amount of marine fauna within the ocean was bigger than 2019, we saw countless species of hammerheads, Galapagos sharks, pilot sharks, whale sharks, rays, barracuda, Mola-Mola fish amongst others.

Santa Cruz was without foreign travellers almost, Tortuga Bay was incredibly empty, we spent hours there taking photos and observing the behaviour of marine iguanas, finches, warblers, mocking birds amongst other species of wildlife.

Isabela was stunning, we hiked to Sierra Negra volcano and saw amazing flamingoes close to Puerto Villamil.

If you are looking to see the Galapagos from a unique perspective then your chance to travel there is now...

Tour groups are starting to book from the summer of 2021 so the deadline to see Galapagos without thousands of gringos will end by May, take your chance and book your trip of a lifetime now.

Always book directly through Ecuadorian based tour operators, in that way, apart from saving some dollars, you will be helping the local Travel Industry to get reactivated faster and directly.

Saludos cordiales,

Dennis Yépez

Guanguiltagua Expeditions

Edited: 24 February 2021, 00:53
8 posts
10. Re: Should I book a trip to Galapagos now?
Save

Thank you for the information Mia. Would you mind please sharing more details of the cruise you booked?

Thank You, Mia (too)

Reply to: Should I book a trip to Galapagos now?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.