We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Not pre-booking Day Tours for November

London, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Not pre-booking Day Tours for November

Hello, I have read a plethora of reports which I have learnt from, but would still like info on a specific. Some reports state that November, because of the USofA's Thanks Giving, is high season, so can I leave off booking day tours until I arrive? My dates are critical. Two days in Guayaquil then half a day on Isabel before requiring the Los Tuneles tour. Arr. Guay 23.00hrs 13 Nov. Arr. Isabel via Santa Cruz 16 Nov on afternoon ferry. Require tour morning of 17th. Pre-book on-line or what?

Also, Kicker Rock snorkeling on the 23rd, after arriving on San Cristobal on the 22nd and departing The Galapagos Islands on 24th. Will these tours be full and unavailable if I leave booking until the day before? Is it poss. to book all tours from any island with tour operators on one island? Is it poss. to book these tours and inter-island ferries before hand in Guayaquil? If so, in what part of Guayaquil are tour operators situated?

I fly into Santa Cruz at 11.16hrs and intend to take the afternoon ferry to Isabela, as yet without a ferry reservation. Any foreseeable problems?

These are just two of my 4 or 5 day tours, but will wait my arrival before booking these others.

3 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
100 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Not pre-booking Day Tours for November

After landing in any airport in Galapagos you need to make a line to pay for the entrance fee of the park, then you need to have your carry on luggage checked and finally wait for the dogs to inspect all the checked luggage. All this takes about one hour. From Baltra to the pier in Santa Cruz it takes a 10-minute bus drive ($5), ferry to cross the Itabaca channel ($1) and then bus or taxi, 45 minutes or more to Puerto Ayora. For the afternoon ferry to Isabela you need to be there at 13:30 pm. Doesn't look like you'll have enough time.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
3,540 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Not pre-booking Day Tours for November

Dear John,

all I can say for sure is that waiting until the day before to book your activities runs a higher chance of disappointment than doing so a few weeks ahead of time. As for T-Giving, it's mostly the actually T-Giving week that tends to be busier, and not so much the weeks before.

Warmest regards,

Heather Blenkiron

London, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Not pre-booking Day Tours for November

Thank you Galapaguito5 and hblenkiron for your responses. Galapaguito5, your info was very distressing as I thought I had made the correct itinerary for us to maximize our time in the islands. If you are correct, then I will have to try and cancel my hotel reservations and have a re-think.

Reply to: Not pre-booking Day Tours for November
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted