We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Inter island ferries - life Jackets?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Inter island ferries - life Jackets?

Hi,

We are spending a few days at Puerto Villamil and will be taking the inter island ferry from Puerto Ayora over. I’ve heard and read terrifying stories about the ferries, which has made me quite anxious, and last night I made the mistake of watching a few YouTube videos of people’s horrifying rides! What was I thinking?!? In all the videos, I noticed that no one was wearing life jackets. Does anyone know if they are available or those ferry rides?

Thank you in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Villamil
Puerto Villamil
Isabela, Ecuador
Puerto Ayora
Puerto Ayora
Santa Cruz, Ecuador
4 replies to this topic
Canada
Level Contributor
115 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Inter island ferries - life Jackets?

It depends on the ferry boat. I remember on my ride from Santa Cruz to Isabela on the D Luis boat all passengers were given blue life jackets to wear for the entire ride. Ask about it before you book the ferry.

On my other ferry rides on different boats I don’t remember having to wear a life jacket. Even if no one else is wearing one you could probably still request one from the crew if it makes you feel more comfortable.

Mentioned in this post
Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz
Galapagos Islands, Ecuador
Isabela
Isabela
Galapagos Islands, Ecuador
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
234 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Inter island ferries - life Jackets?

The inter-island ferries are long, boring and uncomfortable for sure and with very little scenery to enjoy on the way... but "terrifying" or "horrifying"? These are definitely not words I would use to describe the ferries at all.

"Insanely boring" and "uncomfortable" are far more accurate words for them.

I never had to wear a lifejacket on any of the 4 inter-island ferries I took when I was visiting, but I always remember seeing lifejackets stashed together onboard within easy reach.

I never bothered to count them (I assume that there were enough for everyone onboard in case of an emergency)... but I am sure that I always saw more than a dozen at least.

*On a seperate note... the routes that the inter-island ferries take between islands are frequently used by all traffic between the islands everyday. So in the event that somehow a boat sunk without getting an emergency message out (very unlikely) there is frequent enough boats going along those same routes every day that everyone would be discovered quite quickly.

Like the poster said before. If you are that worried about it I am 100% sure that if you ask to wear a life jacket as soon as you get on board they will provide one (in fact I think that they legally cannot refuse this request if they are asked).

... but personally I think you are stressing about this far more than you need to, regardless of "You-tube" posts.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Inter island ferries - life Jackets?

Thank you so much for your post Snaek29! You’ve just made me feel so much better! I actually had a sleepless night worrying about whether we were making the right decision to use the Ferry’s. (I have a fear of open water when I can’t see land and we will have our 10 year old with us). I should also use this opportunity to thank you profusely for your super informative land based thread. I have been glued to your pages of information that you wrote and seriously got goose bumps when reading some of what you posted. It is 100% because of you that we have decided to do some land based stuff before our boat tour. I can’t thank you enough that you took the time to share your experiences and wealth of information! I love how much you appreciate the culture and environment. Thank you so much!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
234 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Inter island ferries - life Jackets?

Future sleepless nights averted :)

You are most welcome. I'm glad that I could help.

Safe travels.

Reply to: Inter island ferries - life Jackets?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted