We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Celebrity Xploration

Maryland
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
4 helpful votes
Celebrity Xploration
Save

I am unable to find even one review of a trip on the Xploration. Does anyone have any experience with this vessel at all or advice for where else to look? Thanks in advance!

51 replies to this topic
Canton, Ohio
Level Contributor
192 posts
167 reviews
360 helpful votes
1. Re: Celebrity Xploration
Save

Hello-

II'm not sure its actually up and running yet - Celebrity's website lists the next sailing as Dec. 9, 2017 - we did the Xpedition cruise in January and I think the Xploration was in drydock at the time. Celebrity does a wonderful job in the Galapagos - my only concern is the small size of the Xploration and seasickness. We were on one of the largest ships in the region, at the supposedly calmest time of year, and my husband and I still got motion sickness. The small size IS a benefit when it comes to visiting more remote and less-populated areas--you might want to consider getting a motion-sickness patch. Best of luck!

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
4,335 posts
18 reviews
21 helpful votes
2. Re: Celebrity Xploration
Save

Dear JD,

until a couple of months ago, the Exploration was known as the Athala, owned and operated by Ocean Adventures, a local company. It was bought out by Celebrity and they rebranded everything. You should find reviews of the Athala fairly easily.

Warmest regards,

Heather Blenkiron

Maryland
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
4 helpful votes
3. Re: Celebrity Xploration
Save

Thanks for the responses. I am worried about seasickness, but I also worry about environmental impact and, as you point out, the smaller boats provide opportunities the large ones do not. I will definitely get the patch from our doc - better safe than sorry, especially when spending this much $ and it's one of those trips of a lifetime we're not likely to do more than once.

Canton, Ohio
Level Contributor
192 posts
167 reviews
360 helpful votes
4. Re: Celebrity Xploration
Save

If you get a patch I don't think you need to worry - the usual good advice applies: Drink LOTS of water (its very dry there!) avoid alcohol and don't overdo it from the get-go. You're right it IS a trip of a lifetime! Here's a review I wrote on the Xpedition much of it applies to other boats in the region as well I hope you might find some helpful hints--best wishes to you for a wonderful and safe journey: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294310-i6637-k10133095-Just_Back_from_Celebrity_Xpedition_Inner_Loop_Tour-Galapagos_Islands.html#82043035

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
6 posts
46 reviews
30 helpful votes
5. Re: Celebrity Xploration
Save

We sail on the Xploration in one week. I'll report back after we return 12/3.

Maryland
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
4 helpful votes
6. Re: Celebrity Xploration
Save

Can’t wait to hear. Have a great trip!

Edited: 3 years ago
Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
6 posts
46 reviews
30 helpful votes
7. Re: Celebrity Xploration
Save

We just got back today from our 10 day cruise with Quito extension on the Celebrity Xploration. We wanted a small ship because we wanted a small group and we read that catamarans could be a little more stable in rough water so the Xploration seemed perfect. It was an absolutely wonderful trip. We were so well taken care of, from the minute we left the baggage claim area in Quito until they took us to the airport for our return trip. Cabins are very large compared to the large ship cruises we have. Beds were very comfortable. Meals were wonderful--excellent quality and fish and vegetable were cooked perfectly. All of the crew were friendly and helpful, and our naturalist Juan Carlos was extremely knowledgeable.

We had some amazing experiences--snorkeling with sea turtles and a playful sea lion--saw amazing sights and birds, reptiles and more sea lions when we were ashore. There was adequate down time to rest but we were very pleased at how active the trip was. There were usually 2 activities in the morning (ie. a hike and then snorkeling or kayaking) and then another activity or two in the afternoon. Our fellow passengers were a diverse and interesting group and I've no doubt that many of us will indeed stay in touch.

This being the dry season the water is a little rougher than in the hotter rainy season. It's perfect weather for going ashore and for water activities, but we did have 4 nights of really rough rocking and rolling. I got a prescription patch from my doctor to ward off motion sickness and it worked like a charm.

We would highly recommend the Celebrity Xploration!

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
22 posts
7 reviews
36 helpful votes
8. Re: Celebrity Xploration
Save

Hi there, my husband and I are looking at the Xploration as well for this summer, and would like to ask you a few more questions if possible. Did you feel like there was some amount of freedom for the passengers to choose what they want to do? We are in our mid thirties and pretty active, just wondering if we wanted to hike longer or swim longer etc whether we would be allowed, or if they are pretty stringent on what and how exactly all activities are done. What kind of age range was on your boat? How far in advance did you book the trip, and did you go through an agent? We're currently looking at July and only 2 rooms have been booked, curious if prices go down a little later. Was your boat full? Thanks so much for your help!!!

qld australia
Level Contributor
458 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
9. Re: Celebrity Xploration
Save

Hi, we are also looking at a late november trip on the exploration however as I am in Australia we are not able to get the patches as they are not available by prescription due to their being too many side affects it doesn't meet our standards apparently. So as I am prone to seasickness I am now very concerned about the size of the xploration and whether or not just taking sea sickness medication ( kwell tablets) and getting a wristband are going to be enough as it appears the patches are a lot stronger. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
17 posts
77 reviews
98 helpful votes
10. Re: Celebrity Xploration
Save

We have booked the last November trip for the Xploration and I'm worried about sea sickness as well. I'm going to talk to my primary doctor about other options besides the patch. I used the patch on another trip and it caused problems with my eye sight and did not make me feel any better using it. Having said that I know many people have used it with great success so hoping they've changed the chemical properties of it. Hope we see you on this trip familytravel000

Reply to: Celebrity Xploration
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.