We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport from Quito airport to Cotacachi

Marina del Rey...
Level Contributor
30 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Transport from Quito airport to Cotacachi

Anyone aware of a shuttle van service from the airport to Cotacachi? Other possibilities?

Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
1,483 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transport from Quito airport to Cotacachi

A taxi would cost usd 90 roughly.

Marina del Rey...
Level Contributor
30 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transport from Quito airport to Cotacachi

Thanks...my hotel in Cotacachi (Tierra del Sol Inn) found a driver who charges $55.

Winchester, Virginia
Level Contributor
26 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transport from Quito airport to Cotacachi

It might be cheaper to rent a car. My wife and I are staying in the same hotel, only in October. We have rented a car for 8 days for a whopping $180.00, or $24 per day. There are great deals on Travelocity to rent a car. It would also give you flexibility to stop and see Lake San Pablo, visit the market at Otavalo and see the fish market in Ibarra. Taking a taxi inhibits you from seeing any of those lovely places.

Marina del Rey...
Level Contributor
30 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transport from Quito airport to Cotacachi

Thanks for your post. However, I've been advised not to rent a car anywhere in Ecuador. The dealers, I've been told, try to rip you off, saying you caused dings on the vehicle, charge extra fees, etc. And many of the roads are treacherous to drive. Better to leave the driving to someone who knows the roads, in my opinion. Makes for a more relaxed trip, the driver can make stops at interesting sights, and would know other places that we may not be aware of that are interesting as well.

Happy Trails!

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
9,452 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transport from Quito airport to Cotacachi

Mirthpro, would you consider taking a public bus to Cotocachi for about $2.50? Once you get settled in your hotel there you can hire a driver for a half day or more to take you wherever you like. It would surely be less than the $55 transfer. I love hiring drivers at my destination as they often know really interesting places that I wouldn't have known about/thought of.

Delray Beach, FL
Level Contributor
75 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transport from Quito airport to Cotacachi

When are you going? I'm going next month and am interested in private transportation too. If you go before Oct 15, would you mind posting back to this thread your experience w/ your driver? I'll look into your hotel for my possible lodging.

Marina del Rey...
Level Contributor
30 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transport from Quito airport to Cotacachi

Thanks for the post. The price is certainly right, but I've heard the buses are not comfortable, the drivers are "un poco loco", and of course one cannot stop at interesting places along the way. So I'd rather splurge on a driver, especially if there are 3 or 4 others to share with.

Florida
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transport from Quito airport to Cotacachi

We did the same thing of hiring a driver for 55 on two trips to Cotacachi and it worked out great Relax and enjoy the trip!

Otavalo
Level Contributor
146 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transport from Quito airport to Cotacachi

Mirthpro, If you are arriving to Ecuador from the states with all your things, I would not take a bus, especially since flights mostly arrive at night. Bonded and safe taxis are right there at the airport, and would start at $65...The bus is a wonderful anthropological experience, but not with your things and at night! $55 is a very good price from the airport to Cotacachi (esp. since the driver has to pay to enter the airport and usually wait.....worth a tip)... and the Inn of the Sun (former Meson de las Flores) is a very nice place. Once you are settled, venture out in buses, taxes, etc. Taxis in Ecuador are very inexpensive, so you could see all the things that you wanted for about $10 per hour, or a good daily rate. I agree about renting a car, lots of hassles, better to sit back and enjoy the scenery and pay the driver to take you. SO many beautiful things in the Cotacachi/Otavalo (Imbabura Province) area--I live here for many years! The price that the other poster quoted for the rental car was without insurance, double that price, and that is obligatory here. Cotacachi is a beautiful, quaint, quiet, colonial Andean town, also famous for beautiful leather products and the recent exodus of 'gringo expats' living there...very interesting combo. Have a wonderful trip.

Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
1,483 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Transport from Quito airport to Cotacachi

A few americans are now living in Cotacachi. Since then, Real State price had increased dramatically. Maid service and rent is more expensive than it used to be. Some locals are not that happy with this effect. At same time a few americans realized that Cotacachi is not for them after living there for a little while. Cotacachi is beautiful but to small may be.... Some of this people are trying to sale their homes now, but in this crissis is a little hard to sell...

Saludos,

DY

Edited: 20 September 2010, 02:36