We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay in Old town or New town??

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
24 posts
270 reviews
Stay in Old town or New town??

Going to Quito with my husband and teenage daughter for a week. Thinking about if safe to stay in Old town or better pay extra to stay in New town? I heard here and there that Old Town of Quito is not safe enough to walk after dark. But some of those information I saw was quite a while ago. Is that still the case? Place to stay in Old Town is way cheaper than New Town, so just wondering if we can save some $$. If stay in Old town, is there any place to eat after dark, or more options available in the New town? Is New Town way safer to walk after dark compared to Old Town?

Thanks

4 replies to this topic
Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
11,486 posts
101 reviews
1. Re: Stay in Old town or New town??

I wouldn't say one is necessarily safer than the other. I've spent many happy hours in el centro at night, sometimes with friends, sometimes alone. El centro is mich quieter at night during the week, and very lively on weekends.

"New town" generally refers to the Mariscal district, which has a lot more restaurants, nightclubs, tourists, etc. Not my cup of tea. I personally prefer the area farther north, near Parque Carolina, but I used to live near there and just like the ambience.

On the right side of the page is a Top Question that addresses your question. That might give you some food for thought. The TQs are not available on cell phones.

Wherever you stay, pickpockets are always a problem, so you must take measures to protect yourself.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
24 posts
270 reviews
2. Re: Stay in Old town or New town??

Thanks. Both location has pros and cons, I guess and have their own charms.

Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
951 posts
60 reviews
3. Re: Stay in Old town or New town??

If you stick to the main roads and squares (especially Plaza Grande) in centro historico, and are generally sensible about where you go, it's safe enough to go out to eat in the evening. However, it's still not a good idea to just wander around at night. Most places close by 6-ish. There are some restaurants open later, but you need to have a plan and head somewhere specific, or you might not find anywhere open. The exception being La Ronda, which gets busy towards the end of the week and is very lively at weekends (be careful of pickpockets though).

As has been said, Mariscal (Gringolandia) has a lot more nightlife and restaurants, but also the usual problems that come with areas with lots of bars and clubs.

There is also the business district around La Carolina that Azb. recommends. Personally, I would opt for La Floresta, from the end of Gonzalez Suarez to 12 de Octubre, etc. It's a bit more of an arty neighborhood, and there are lots of restaurants and cafes around on Isabel la Catolica and Coruna. It still wouldn't be a good idea to go wandering down dark alleys late at night, but the main roads are safe enough in the evenings.

Houston, Texas
9 posts
1 review
4. Re: Stay in Old town or New town??

You'll generally have more dining options in the newer parts of town as a lot of the old town shuts down right around 6pm as others have pointed out. However you can certainly take a taxi, Uber or whatever as needed to get around. We stayed in an area between Parque Carolina & Mariscal Sucre and there were plenty of dining options open at night.

Edited: 02 September 2018, 11:39
Reply to: Stay in Old town or New town??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted