We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cabify, Easy Taxi or Uber?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
562 posts
61 reviews
Cabify, Easy Taxi or Uber?

Anyone have any thoughts about using these in Quito? I am assuming that the former two will give you actual taxi drivers. I saw that Uber only has Uber X, so I am thinking about the other two.

Can someone advise on the following:

1. What are the payment methods for Cabify and Easy Taxi? I saw Cabify you can add a credit card, but Easy Taxi is not allowing me to add anything... so is it cash only?

2. Which has more availability?

Thank you!

11 replies to this topic
Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
951 posts
60 reviews
1. Re: Cabify, Easy Taxi or Uber?

EasyTaxi is the only one of those with licensed yellow taxi drivers. Uber and Cabify both use private drivers. There's another app called UniTaxi which also uses licensed drivers. Easytaxi and Unitaxi are both cash only, as far as I know. Easytaxi and Unitaxi have the most drivers, as they are pulling from the pool of regular yellow taxis. (Drivers often used both apps).

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
562 posts
61 reviews
2. Re: Cabify, Easy Taxi or Uber?

Thank you. So if I used the app then I won't need to remind the driver to turn on the meter?

Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
951 posts
60 reviews
3. Re: Cabify, Easy Taxi or Uber?

Regardless of whether you use the apps, I very rarely have to ask for the meter anymore. If you do, a simple 'el metro, por favour' should be enough.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
562 posts
61 reviews
4. Re: Cabify, Easy Taxi or Uber?

That's good to know. Thank you!

Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
2 posts
33 reviews
5. Re: Cabify, Easy Taxi or Uber?

In Quitothe best service offers cabify don't doubt it. The payment is using credit card and is really safe. I use it very often. The drivers are good, the service is perfect and the cars are pretty new and comfortable and you don't have to share if you don't want.

Please do not use easy taxi the drivers are rude, and they want to pay high prices is a really bad service.

About uber here I haven't use yet but the comments about That I've heard are really bad.

Hope it helps u

Alex

Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
951 posts
60 reviews
6. Re: Cabify, Easy Taxi or Uber?

All of the services have pros and cons. I would never register a credit card with Cabify. I've heard of too many people getting charged for 'damage' after a trip, and it's almost impossible to get the charge reversed. Plus, they don't properly vet their drivers. I've very rarely had problems with rude drivers using any taxi service.

Edited: 10 September 2017, 21:37
Los Alamos, New...
Level Contributor
3,699 posts
149 reviews
7. Re: Cabify, Easy Taxi or Uber?

Been to Quito a handful of times and never had trouble with the good ol' fashioned taxi. They are everywhere and the majority of the ones that I climbed into had a working meter. The few times that we used one that didn't, we just agreed on a price ahead of time and it was no trouble.

1 post
8. Re: Cabify, Easy Taxi or Uber?

You can use any of three, I prefer Cabify you can pay with credit / debit card and now with cash. Uber I think is about the same. Easy Taxi I'm not sure but believe it's only cash.

Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
951 posts
60 reviews
9. Re: Cabify, Easy Taxi or Uber?

The police in Quito have been clamping down on Uber & Cabify recently. If they catch them with a passenger, they are impounding the drivers' cars and fining them.

This is a pretty good article about the legal problems the drivers are facing. If you can't read Spanish, Google translate does a reasonable enough job of it.

https:/…uber-cabify-quito-sanciones.html

Highland Park, NJ
Level Contributor
6 posts
31 reviews
10. Re: Cabify, Easy Taxi or Uber?

Visiting in August 2018, we used Uber 5 times in Quito and were satisfied with how smoothly it went. Also unbelievably cheap ($2.50 for a 15-minute ride). The one time we used a conventional yellow cab, it cost nearly twice as much and the driver left us several blocks from our destination. It's not legal for the drivers, though, so they discretely keep the app open on their phones in their lap.

Reply to: Cabify, Easy Taxi or Uber?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted