We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santiago - Crime

London (England)
Level Contributor
4 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
Santiago - Crime

As I walked along Libertador O'Higgins from the Bus Terminal towards my downtown hotel carrying my backpack, someone must have walked behind me, opened the smaller outer compartment and made off with my anorak. (Weekday, early afternoon, lots of people about, early September)

Moral: lock all used compartments of your rucksack at all times.

Now, my question is: was this sort of pickpocketing typical or exceptional - what are your experiences of crime in Santiago (or Chile)?

Michael

Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,015 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Santiago - Crime

I've been warned before by our Chilean guide that pickpocketing around the bus terminal is a problem. Otherwise, I have never been pickpocketed although there was once near the Plaza de Armas a man was following my husband and I from store to store as we were window shopping. I felt like he was going to try but he saw I was watching him and quickly left. Chile has the lowest crime rate of all South America.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Santiago - Crime

Michael3112 I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience. I have been to Chile many times over the last 15 years and I have never had a problem associated with crime. Having said that, however I know there are pickpockets, etc. in Chile as there are in every country in the world. I guess the point I'm trying to make is people should not get paranoid about it. Take the usual precautions and nothing bad will happen to you. Yes it is true, Chile has an extremely low crime rate.

Santiago
Level Contributor
493 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Santiago - Crime

I would say crimes in Santiago are just as in any other big city in any part of the world....

I mean, crowded areas are normally dangerous anywhere...

4. Re: Santiago - Crime

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2009, 10:51