We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tango Show La Esquina Carlos Gardel

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Tango Show La Esquina Carlos Gardel

Hi,

Any comments on this Tango show? I have read some very good reviews but they go back a few years now. Is this still the recommended show? We prefer something authentic rather than touristic - is that possible with Tango shows :-)

All suggestions much appreciated

CC

WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,158 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tango Show La Esquina Carlos Gardel

Hello Brisbane,

Yes, all the Tango Shows are shows and for tourists. The Milongas are for the dancers and there are a few that do not discourage people from coming to watch.

Carlos Gardel is a good show with a film describing the history of Tango etc. There are models of tangueros that have space for you to put your face for a photo-op (you get the picture ?) and the food is, as at most Tango shows, only fair and fairly pricey,

That said, my DH and I enjoy the Tango shows and have been most pleased with La Ventana as a full-on show. The show upstairs at the Cafe Tortoni is very nice (best to not order a meal, just a snack and drinks)

For more relaxed Tango with very good quality dancing and (usually) live music, we go to the Borges Center in the Gallerias Pacifico on Florida St. They are inexpensive, more of a lovely auditorium with many Portenos in attendance. You can do a search above for more info...and check out this link: http://www.ccborges.org.ar/indexi.htm

AVOID El Viejo Almacen....we hated it and they were so pushy of photos, drinks etc., that we were sorry to have gone.

There is also spontaneous tango in San Telmo on the Square on Sunday evenings. Nice. And in La Boca during the day.

Enjoy yourselves,

~Marnie

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tango Show La Esquina Carlos Gardel

Thank you so much Marnie - that is a big help. We will definitely go to La Boca and I will investigate further the other shows you mentioned. Unfortunately althought I have 10 days in Argentina -4 BA and 6 Patagonia - I do not have a Sunday in BA so will miss out on the San Telmo Sunday Markets and events :-(

Thanks again,

CC

WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,158 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tango Show La Esquina Carlos Gardel

Glad this helped, CCLS.

Just a word of caution: when you visit La Boca, be sure it is daytime and that you stay on the main streets - and have transportation back to where you want to go next. It is a high (opportunist) crime area, even more than most touristy areas in major cities. But it is fun for a short visit, and very photogenic.....

4. Re: Tango Show La Esquina Carlos Gardel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 21:45