We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport Question

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
841 posts
78 reviews
Transport Question

Hi,

Our family of 2 adults & 3 kids are looking at catching the public bus from the airport to YMCA International on Orchard Road. (Will be approx. 9am) We will buy an Ez-Link card & top up at the airport. Can someone clarify please:

So will this be bus No: 36, and is it approx 35 stops to our accommodation? Approx 88 min travelling time? I see there are 2 different prices, one for air conditioning, & one for non air conditioning? How do we ensure or know which one has air con? Or is the bus separated into 2 different compartments???

If we find that we are too exhausted when we arrive, we may just take the airport shuttle, but will wait & see how we feel.

Regards,

Karen

Australia
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Bargain Travel, Holiday Travel, Singapore
Level Contributor
27,305 posts
123 reviews
1. Re: Transport Question

Hello Karen,

I have used the #36 bus to and from the airport a few times, and it has always been air-conditioned. It stops right outside the YMCA Orchard. But, with 2 of you adults, and 3 kids and luggage, it would be a long, rather uncomfortable trip. Its not a dedicated airport transport service, just a regular bus service, stopping for local passengers going to and from work around 9am, and heading out shopping. There isn't usually much room to store any suitcases. Its quite cheap, but can be long and difficult after a long flight.

The Airport Shuttle costs SGD$9 per adult and SGD$6 per child. It might be just as cost effective to get in a taxi.

This article covers all airport transfer options:-

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294262-c5162/Singapo…

Edited: 08 October 2013, 09:39
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
841 posts
78 reviews
2. Re: Transport Question

Thanks Avanyi50,

I don't think a normal taxi would take us all & would have to catch a maxi taxi for approx. $60. So we still may end up getting the shuttle bus. Just looking at our options.

Regards,

Karen

Australia
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Bargain Travel, Holiday Travel, Singapore
Level Contributor
27,305 posts
123 reviews
3. Re: Transport Question

Hi again,

Thats a good idea to explore all your options and see how you all feel after the flight.

I hope the trip goes well, I am sure you and the children will love it.

Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
10,241 posts
26 reviews
4. Re: Transport Question

Hi Karen T,

All buses have air-conditioned now. If the air-conditioner breaks down during the trip, the driver would usually inform boarding passengers so that they have the option of waiting for the next bus. Alternatively, the driver may stop the trip and transfer passengers to the next bus.

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
10,814 posts
18 reviews
5. Re: Transport Question

In the case of the taxi option it's probably cheaper most times of day to take 2 regular taxis rather than organising one maxi cab. The shuttle option for 5 will likely be the cheaper option compared to two taxis as well and it lets you travel together

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
11,010 posts
24 reviews
6. Re: Transport Question

From Airport to YMCA @ One Orchard, it is 22.7km & cost S$1.80 cash Exact per adult (S$1.50 using Ez-link).

transitlink.com.sg/eservice/…

===> Just click / Tick the Start & End Stop & at the Bottom, select Calculate Fare & U will see the fare Options. Just ignore the Non Air con, cos All Singapore Public Bus are Air conditioned :D

To relax during the Bus ride, I suggest U Google Map Street walk from SMU Bus stop till YMCA bus stop, so U can see what U will see before U need to alight the Bus.......Basically as it pass Suntec City Or City Hall (Raffles Place Shopping), U need to be alert; other time U can nap :D...

Did U Consider taking the MRT? U can alight at Dhoby Ghaut MRT & walk from there. With 2 Transfer (Tanah Merah to City Train on same platform - Track to ur Left on Train moving direction) Another is at City Hall MRT station towards Orchard Station - Both just cross platform only........And faster

Have Fun

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
841 posts
78 reviews
7. Re: Transport Question

Thanks everyone for your advice & suggestions. Good idea Me^Only to google street walk. I will do that.

Regards,

Karen

8. Re: Transport Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2014, 09:48