We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

V Hotel Lavender or Fragrance Hotel Riverside?

aust
Level Contributor
185 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic

Hi there,

We are a family of 4, staying n Singapore for a stopover on our way to Malaysia and Thailand. Trying to spend as little $$ as possible as I want to save our spending money for the rest of our holiday. We will be arriving on a Thursday aftenoon, and leaving first thing Saturday morning.We plan to check in Thursday evening, have something to eat, and wander around and hopefully catch a light show or something. On the Friday we plan to visit USS for the day, then head back to hotel in the evening, again find somewhere to eat, and wander around the city for a look.

As I said, looking to keep costs down as much as possible during our stay in Singapore. Looking for a hotel that is conveniently located to food courts, and hopefully somewhere where we can explore any interesting neighbourhoods in and around the hotel on foot.

Which would be preferable considering our needs?

Also, if you could please give me an idea on what cuisines/types of foods to expect in the food courts, also rough idea on prices per meal inc drink based on a family of 4 (2 adults, 2 kids)

Other than the USS, I dont plan on spending any money on attractions, just will be looking around at the free stuff:)

Thanks in advance

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
V Hotel Lavender
V Hotel Lavender
4,002 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
Fragrance Hotel - Riverside
Fragrance Hotel...
939 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
Australia
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Bargain Travel, Holiday Travel, Singapore
Level Contributor
25,516 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: V Hotel Lavender or Fragrance Hotel Riverside?

Hello,

Is there a reason why you are only considering those 2 hotels? V Lavender is the better one, as Fragrance Hotels don't usually have the best reputation or quality. What is your budget per room per night in SGD$ or Aust$ and maybe we can suggest some others to investigate.

aust
Level Contributor
185 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: V Hotel Lavender or Fragrance Hotel Riverside?

My Budget is up to $200AUD per night, though would prefer to spend less if I can as we are planning to spend very little time at the hotel, just need it as a base to leave our belongings and sleep.

I had narrowed it down to these two as I decided that I might aswell go as budget as possible since we will hardly be there. I had chosen these two based on the reviews- both had good reviews of the rooms themselves, and the location. Lavender is apparently on top of a MRT station, and the Riverside one is walking distance to everything- correct me if I am wrong? (also we have never travelled to Singapore, so really have no idea!!)

Edited: 15 July 2013, 09:57
Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Australia
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Bargain Travel, Holiday Travel, Singapore
Level Contributor
25,516 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: V Hotel Lavender or Fragrance Hotel Riverside?

Hi again,

Yes, V Lavender Hotel is located atop an MRT Station. No real tourist sights within walking distance so you would need to get on the MRT Underground Trains each day to go 2-4 stops to get to the main tourist areas.

Hotels in City Hall area, Bugis, Dhoby Ghaut, Chinatown or Little India areas offer good value. Ones like:-

Bliss Hotel

YMCA International House, One Orchard Road

YWCA Fort Canning Lodge

Perak hotel

Strand Hotel

Mentioned in this post
Chinatown
Chinatown
11,465 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
Little India
Little India
3,515 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
Bliss Hotel Singapore
Bliss Hotel Singapore
731 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
Orchard Road
Orchard Road
11,412 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
Fort Canning Lodge
Fort Canning Lodge
819 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
Perak Hotel
Perak Hotel
581 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
Strand Hotel
Strand Hotel
516 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java, Singapore
Level Contributor
61,585 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: V Hotel Lavender or Fragrance Hotel Riverside?

<<My Budget is up to $200AUD per night>>>

Residence @ SRC

Peninsula Excelsior

The Bliss

Dorsett

Best western

Park regis

Holiday Inn Express Orchard

Royal@ Queens

Mentioned in this post
Peninsula Excelsior Hotel
Peninsula Excelsior Hotel
4,651 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
Dorsett Singapore
Dorsett Singapore
1,078 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
Park Regis Singapore
Park Regis Singapore
4,168 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
aust
Level Contributor
185 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: V Hotel Lavender or Fragrance Hotel Riverside?

The problem with most of those hotels that u have mentioned is that once we find a room that accommodates 2 adults and 2 kids (a double and a single at a minimum), the price goes above my budget. With the ones I had short listed they were under budget when booking s family/triple room.

Also with regards to Ymca its not my cup of tea- I generally prefer newer/renovated hotels just as I can't stand a dated/worn hotel.

. Back to my original question- out of fragrance riverside and v lavender which would u choose?

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java, Singapore
Level Contributor
61,585 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: V Hotel Lavender or Fragrance Hotel Riverside?

<<out of fragrance riverside and v lavender which would u choose?>>

honestly???....NONE, i would add some hard earned USD or AUD to book the better option.

NOTE: the majority of 4star hotels in SIN alow 1-2 kids below 12 y/o FOC in the parents` room sharing same bedding , no extra bed.

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
14,005 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: V Hotel Lavender or Fragrance Hotel Riverside?

If you can put up with small rooms, the Fragrance Riverside would be the one I would go for, it's only a year old and location is great with plenty to see and do within walking distance as well as the MRT. Check if the have family rooms.

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,316 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: V Hotel Lavender or Fragrance Hotel Riverside?

As for what to expect in a foodcourt: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singaporean_cuisine

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
14,005 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: V Hotel Lavender or Fragrance Hotel Riverside?

Just look it up and the Fragrance Riverside does indeed have Family rooms. No doubt they will still be small ( but then as is the vholtel lavender) but if you are only going to using the hotel for sleep, it may be fine.

Level Contributor
29 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: V Hotel Lavender or Fragrance Hotel Riverside?

Hi..

I think fragrance riverside is better than the v lavender considering the location and the sights around..the fragrance riverside is also just across the clarke quay mrt so it would also fine..