We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family Singapore stopover

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Family Singapore stopover

Hi. We are traveling to Thailand via Singapore in July and have added a night stopover on the way. We fly in at 5pm and leave at 4pm the next day. We are 2 adults and 2 children - 8 and 10 years old. I want to book a cheapish hotel that will have us all in the same room. I have looked at Grand Mecure Roxy and it looks good but far away. We may end up taxiing to Little India, Chinatown and Orchard Road. Should we stay centrally or are taxis cheap?Any other ideas for hotels or must sees in our short stay?

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,610 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family Singapore stopover

taxis depending on time and day (traffic), can get to be pricey (toll each time u use the road and if peak hour, price goes up). It is very easy to take the MRT to these places u r looking at visiting. If I were u, I will look for a hotel in Chinatown (Furama) or Little India (ParkRoyal on Kitchener).

Good Luck

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i8205-Singapore…

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i8282-Suggested…

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
12,773 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family Singapore stopover

For Orchard road have a look at the Holiday Inn or for a cheaper option, try the YMCA International House.

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore
Level Contributor
49,509 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family Singapore stopover

<<Any other ideas for hotels or must sees in our short stay?>>

Grand Chancellor hotel

The Strand

V hotel Lavender

Singapore
12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Family Singapore stopover

I absolutely agree with V Hotel Lavender.

It's affordable, it's connected to the Lavender MRT Station and you definitely won't have a problem with security. The place is peaceful and amenities nearby like food is fantastic. It's also very near town and bugis.

If you only have one day, V Hotel Lavender is definitely the place to stay with your kids.

If you're not with kids, you can explore other options but this is by far the most convenient option with luggages and kids in tow. We don't want the tired little ones to get cranky! =)

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
12,773 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family Singapore stopover

Rooms at the V Hotel are small, you wont all be able to stay in 1 room.

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore
Level Contributor
49,509 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family Singapore stopover

Fritz B mentioned V Lavender in 8 topics today..... may be some promotion attempt is at hand????????

Singapore
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family Singapore stopover

Ibis Hotel at Beencolen or Novena in particular are another good option, even better than V Hotel in term of room.

Singapore
Level Contributor
2,565 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family Singapore stopover

The YMCA International House is a good bet if you're looking for cheaper accommodation for families within the city area.

Navi Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Genting Highlands
Level Contributor
2,749 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Family Singapore stopover

We got the Strand for S$ 145 a night including breakfast n taxes..

You have to email the hotel directly for rates

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Family Singapore stopover

Thanks everyone. I think I've decided to book a room at Swiss Hotel MC as it seems they will have 2 queen beds to accom us all? It looks like a fab hotel in a great location for sightseeing. We will be up very early due to time zones and will need some action to wander around. Do you agree? Any other ideas for something to do at 5 am?