We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Want to buy a LED TV....

Surat, India
12 posts
Save Topic
Want to buy a LED TV....

I am coming in the month of Sept. from India.

Is it true that LED TVs are cheapest in Singapore than the India. How can i take with me while coming back? Is there any tax laid on that?

Thanks in advance...

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Want to buy a LED TV....

I suppose you should know if you bring big/taxable things in your own country anywhere in the world from outside means you have to pay the tax, correct?!or else just check with your local custom department. How do we know if the price of LED tv here in Singapore cheaper than in India? We don't even know how much do they sell in India. Since you coming here, why don't you check it by your self from the electronic shops in Sigapore. For sure Malaysia has cheaper price of all compare to Singapore cause by the low labor cost, made in locally in Malaysia, and lower good tax.

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Jakarta
Level Contributor
61,585 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Want to buy a LED TV....

1. google the matter for the price difference

2. check your airline for free weight allowance, costs of extra weight

3. check customs rules of your OWN country as Andy sugested

4. make your OWN conclusion minding and summarizing all the costs and HASSLE involved.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Want to buy a LED TV....

While at airports I sometimes see Indians carrying bulky items like flatscreen TVs (not sure if they are LCD or LED), etc. So its possible its cheaper here. Not sure if they tax u back home. That u have to check out as suggested above. Any size more than 27" can be more than 10kg. Btw, LEDs are more expensive than LCDs.

Metro Manila...
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
19,920 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Want to buy a LED TV....

It could be cheaper in Singapore but it is risky to transport such a fragile item and I doubt it if airport cargo handlers both in Changi and India would be super cautious with your TV.

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Changi Airport
Changi Airport
Singapore, Singapore
Surat, India
12 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Want to buy a LED TV....

Thanks a lot everybody...

Can anyone suggest where I find the electronics items(led tvs)...i will stay on orchard road...are the price are differ from shop to shop?

Jakarta
Level Contributor
61,585 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Want to buy a LED TV....

So,,, you`ve calculated ALL the costs involved and still think it`s worth the hassle to buy LED in SIN?????

Advice; just avoid Lucky Plaza ( Orchards) and Sim LIm.

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,330 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Want to buy a LED TV....

Try Mustafa Centre in Little India. Their pricing is generally competitive, and they may also be able to advise you (on import tax, safe transportation, etc.) as they seem to have many customers from South Asia.

http://www.mustafa.com.sg/index.asp

Mentioned in this post
Mustafa Centre
Mustafa Centre
2,605 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
Little India
Little India
3,567 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
Singapore
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Want to buy a LED TV....

google for Best Denki, Courts, Harvey Norman, and Gain City location. They are 4 big electronic retailer. Still plenty small shops but mostly at heartland area, will be difficult for visitor like you. good luck!

Singapore
Level Contributor
2,416 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Want to buy a LED TV....

Mustafa Centre is a safe bet to buy this item. Their prices will be almost certainly lower than the other big players in Singapore like Courts, Best Denki etc. Yes, there may be a few other smaller shops which may be a bit less priced than Mustafa but as a tourist, its not worth spending too much time looking for shops.

Do some research before you arrive in Singapore and select or at least shortlist the models you are looking for so that your shopping does not eat into too much of your sightseeing time.

All the best to have your TV passed through Indian Customs without hassles/ harrasment and hope it reaches its destination safely!

Edited: 28 July 2011, 12:16
Mentioned in this post
Mustafa Centre
Mustafa Centre
2,605 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Surat, India
12 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Want to buy a LED TV....

Is mustafa bazar is a good option to buy such a electronic items??is it reliable?

Or there may be another good option...

pls suggest...