We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Universal Studios: Is it worth buying Express passes?

New Zealand
Level Contributor
275 posts
328 reviews
Save Topic
Universal Studios: Is it worth buying Express passes?

Hi. I'm going to be taking my children (9 and 12) to Universal Studios Singapore this Friday. (normal day, not holiday etc). I will purchase entry tickets online and plan to arrive for opening time in the morning. I have seen the recommendations of doing Jurassic Park and Mummy rides first to beat queues.

Is it worth the added expense of purchasing express passes?

Thanks

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
13,410 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Universal Studios: Is it worth buying Express passes?

That would be an extra $90 for the quietest time, I really woudn'y bother. Your plan on doing the most popular rides early is a good one.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
724 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Universal Studios: Is it worth buying Express passes?

Hi, theres a similiar post pior to yours.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294262-i1747-k392…

Friday is consider a weekend, so there might be some crowd, but not so much till it will be jam pack like during holida/sat&sun. I wont bother with the express ticket, USS might be famous but it wont be so crowded inside during a non-peak season.;)

Kadina, Australia
Level Contributor
878 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Universal Studios: Is it worth buying Express passes?

deffinatly! we went on a wednesday and they were worth every penny, only use them if the line is long and then return when the wait is long and go straight to the front of the line as you can only use them for each ride once so save it for when the waits are longest. but yes they were worth every cent you dont want to wait in lines in the singapore heat

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,165 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Universal Studios: Is it worth buying Express passes?

To each his own....everyone has their own opinion on whether to get the "Express Pass" :-)

As for me, the reasons for saying "no, not necessary" are:

1) Yes, like you've said, arrive at the gate early before the opening at 10am. There aren't usually that many people in the morning from 10-11am. Make use of that hour to the fullest for the rides.

2) Head for the three rides: (a) The Revenge of the Mummy; (b) Jurassic Park Rapid Adventures; (c) Canopy Flyer; and (d) Enchanted Airways. (b), (c) and (d) are the slow loading rides. The loading for ride (a) should be quite fast if 2 cars are operating instead of 1.

3) The "Express Pass" is a way for the park to make extra money, don't fall into their trap.

4) The "Express Pass" is good for the 4 rides as mentioned in point (2). The rest of the attractions are mostly shows and merry-go-rounds.

I just feel that S$96 per Adult and S$78 per child up to 12-years old (ie. Entry + Express Pass) is too expensive for entry to USS.

Enjoy :)

Edited: 05 October 2010, 12:08
Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,165 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Universal Studios: Is it worth buying Express passes?

You should first head for these rides in this order:

1) Jurassic Park Rapids Adventure

2) Canopy Flyer

3) Enchanted Airways

4) Treasure Hunters (may not appeal to your kids)

5) The Revenge of the Mummy

The Q lines for The Revenge of the Mummy is in airconditioned comfort. Therefore, this is the only ride where you do not Q under the hot sun. Not sure whether you have been to Disneyland, this ride is fairly similiar to Space Mountain.

Edited: 05 October 2010, 12:18
North Yorkshire...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Rhodes
Level Contributor
6,060 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Universal Studios: Is it worth buying Express passes?

I'm never in a hurry so I wouldn't waste 90+bucks buying an express ticket, I guess it just depends what value you put on your time, and if spending an additional $90+ is worth it for you.

As you're going to get there early, do the most popular rides first, then just relax and enjoy the rest, after all it's not THAT big a park.

Have a great day. Alan.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
275 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Universal Studios: Is it worth buying Express passes?

Thanks to all. There definitely appear to be two distinct views. I think I will rouse the troops early to make sure we get to the park on opening, and maybe save the price of the express pass for a different activity. I really do question whether there are enough rides to warrant the expense (given the number of big ticket rides as yet unopened) - but the heat will be the decider I think... Brett

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Universal Studios: Is it worth buying Express passes?

I'm heading there today also. Rain is expected, so I'm hoping it may lessen the crowds? Universal LA & Orlando both allow their express passes used for unlimited entry to each ride, so there it is definately worth it. I probably wouldn't spend the $$ due to the size of the park, I think even with waits you should get to see everything. I'm working on the plan to do most popular first also, lets just hope everyone else doesn't have the same plan! (as a single rider I do have the bonus of being able to jump lines on some occasions, so this may work in your favour if the kids want to go on some rides multiple times and are happy to do the ride separately to other family members)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Universal Studios: Is it worth buying Express passes?

And the rollercoaster isn't open at the moment, so unfortunately makes a little less to get through

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,165 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Universal Studios: Is it worth buying Express passes?

Do keep us updated after your visit. :-)

Looks sunny at the start of the day.