We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Australian dollar exchange rate

Australia
Level Contributor
112 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Australian dollar exchange rate

Anyone know how much SGD I will get for $1 AUD?

I'm thinking about exchanging $500 AUD over in Singapore at a foreign exchange centre there rather than in Australia before I leave.

I can get $1.25 SGD for $1 AUD here.

North Yorkshire...
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
4,923 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Australian dollar exchange rate

Mustafa's is one, if not the best place to exchange currencies, in any event if one looks on ''Forex'' it gives an excellent indication as to what rates one can expect. Hope this helps . Alan.

http://www.mustafa.com.sg/forex.asp

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
12,595 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Australian dollar exchange rate

Its generally cheaper to change curreny in the place your visiting rather than before you leave, especially so in Singapore where rates are very competittive and there is no separate commission. Even the countres at the airport when you arrive will be cheaper than changing money before you leave.

Yes Mustafa have very good rates.

Edited: 15 April 2010, 16:38
Singapore
Level Contributor
90 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Australian dollar exchange rate

would not recommend you to change any b4 u depart. Just change some in Changi airport upon arrival for taxi fare & some spare. Then head to any money changer.

Your timing a bit out. These few days Singapore dollars on upwards trend.

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore
Level Contributor
47,965 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Australian dollar exchange rate

How long do you plan to explore SIN?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,648 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Australian dollar exchange rate

Another good place to change your Aussie $'s is Fountain Money Changer in Suntec City.

There are various money changers in Singapore where are you staying?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
240 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Australian dollar exchange rate

I strongly agree with Pamies - they seem to always pay a cent or two more for Australian dollars......

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,648 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Australian dollar exchange rate

I am in Singapore at the moment and today went to Mustafa Centre and I got 1.291 changing my Sinapore money back into Aussie $'s and they were offering 1.2690 to change Aussie notes to Singapore $ and 1.4060 to change travellers cheques.

A local Money changer was offerring 1.290 and another 1.300 to change Singapore into Aussie.

You can also check the Mustafa rates on line http://www.mustafa.com.sg/forex.asp

Check what rate you can get in Aus at the moment to compare.

Maybe check the Mustafa rates the day you leave home or if your hotel has internet check before you travel out there.

They have a couple of exchange counters at the store and I only had to wait 5 mins in a line to do the exchange.

It is easy to get to Mustafa on the underground just go to Farrier Park station. The Mustafa website has a good map. It is an interesting shop to have a look through.

Singapore
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Australian dollar exchange rate

It won't make big different unless you change a big 'bulk' of AUD to SGD in which you can make a bargain.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
28 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Australian dollar exchange rate

I have always found excellent AUD to XXX conversion rates by using HSBC ATMS with my standard aussie Commonwealth Bank keycard, it's just like using an aussie ATM except the money comes out in local currency. Last year in HK the ATM method had much, much better rates than ANY moneychanger I could find. More convenient too.

canberra
Level Contributor
18 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Australian dollar exchange rate

Sorry to hijack this thread but I've got a few questions based on this.

First of all, Liz, I'd be curious who was offering that rate in Australia because I haven't found anything like that in my travels with the banks here.

2. I'll be arriving in Singapore next Saturday. I'll only be there for a day but then coming back later in the week for two days.

I'll be staying at the Grand Mercure Roxy for the first day so I'm close to the airport when I fly to other destinations on the Sunday, any good money changers in that area?

My original plan was to just change all my money at the airport at the money changer there (is it UOB that runs it?) Are the rates at the airport OK?

I'll probably get to Orchard Road at some stage during that Saturday but that's dependent on how tired I am. I'm on an overnight flight and I traditionally don't sleep on planes.