We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AirAsia Cross border service between Senai and Singapore

AirAsia Cross border service between Senai and Singapore

AirAsia allows to prebook shuttle service between Senai Airport and Singapore. The details are here

https:/…airasia-shuttle-bus-service.page

The drop off points mentioned are Kranji MRT,Queen Street Bus terminal and Newton Circus bus stop. The rate per person is 6 MYR. Has anyone used the service? How is it? Worth using? Whether 6 MYR includes travel at both sides of borders. Kindly guide. I will be staying near Mustafa Center. Is the Queen Street terminal the nearest point?

5 replies to this topic
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
52 posts
100 reviews
1. Re: AirAsia Cross border service between Senai and Singapore

Queen Street Bus Terminal should be nearer to Mustafa Centre compared to Newton Bus Stop. But I don’t think it is walking distance. Kranji MRT is much further away but if your hotel is near an MRT station & you do not have heavy luggage, Kranji MRT is also an option.

Use Google maps to plan your route.

Can’t comment on the transfer service as I never use it but RM6 is dirt cheap (based on Singapore standards). It is S$2. Assuming you must find a way to get from Senai to Singapore, I would take it.

Edited: 26 August 2018, 20:14
Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
5,651 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: AirAsia Cross border service between Senai and Singapore

The AirAsia bus from Senai Airport to JB CIQ Complex is actually operated by Causeway Link, which also runs its own airport bus service from Senai Airport to JB Sentral. The CW1/CW2/CW5 buses are regular Causeway Link cross-border public buses.

I have not taken the AirAsia bus before, but I had used the regular Causeway Link airport bus to JB Sentral a few times. On one occasion I saw a passenger being asked to wait for the AirAsia bus leaving in half an hour instead of the regular airport bus leaving in a few minutes.

From the linked AirAsia webpage, the AirAsia bus has 5 departures a day, leaving every 2 hours on the half hour. The regular airport bus is more frequent, leaving every hour on the hour. The AirAsia bus appears to go straight into the CIQ Complex, where you have to cross the border immediately and have no access to downtown JB. The regular airport bus brings you to JB Sentral bus terminal opposite the CIQ building, providing a link between the airport and downtown while also being near to the border.

In term of costs, RM6 to cross the border is a good deal. The regular airport bus to JB Sentral itself costs RM8, plus a separate fare for crossing the border on CW1/CW2/CW5 (CW1 to Kranji costs RM1.50, while CW2 to Queen St and CW5 to Newton both cost RM3.40). The low frequency of the AirAsia bus may be a concern though. IMO you can go for the prebook service if the bus schedule matches your flight schedule, and you don’t plan to stop by downtown JB.

Both CW2 to Queen St (Bugis) and CW5 to Newton are okay for getting to Mustafa Centre. Bugis and Newton MRT stations are linked by the Downtown Line to Little India, where you can change to the North East Line for Farrer Park.

3. Re: AirAsia Cross border service between Senai and Singapore

Thanks. I have to go back to Senai from Singapore. I have booked in Arianna Hotel Singapore so will be boarding at Queen Street Terminal. Is the boarding point prominently displayed or I have to make some effort to find it. I have a flight at 13:55 on Sunday what time I should ideally start from Queen Street terminal.

Edited: 28 August 2018, 18:06
Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
5,651 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: AirAsia Cross border service between Senai and Singapore

You should not have any difficulty finding the bus as long as you can get to Queen St terminal. The bus terminal is small and the ticket counters are at the front of the bus parking lot.

If using the AirAsia bus you should be getting on the 11:30 departure from JB CIQ Complex. The border traffic can be unpreditable, and the journey from Queen St to after clearing Malaysian customs could take anywhere from 1.5 to 3 hours. My suggestion is to leave Queen St 2.5-3 hours before, around 8.30-9am.

If traffic is smooth and you arrive early, you can either wait around for the AirAsia bus, or head over to JB Sentral bus terminal for the regular airport bus (costs RM8) at 11am and get to the airport earlier. In the worst case you miss the 11:30 AirAsia bus, head over to JB Sentral and get a taxi.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
52 posts
100 reviews
5. Re: AirAsia Cross border service between Senai and Singapore

Just curious why you are travelling to Singapore via Senai airport. Is it because AirAsia does not fly direct to Singapore from your place or the difference in price is very great, even bearing in mind you lose maybe half a day travelling from Senai to Singapore.

Edited: 29 August 2018, 16:49
Reply to: AirAsia Cross border service between Senai and Singapore
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted