We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation 22- 26 Oct recommendations

Geraldton, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Accommodation 22- 26 Oct recommendations

1st time to Singapore and looking for recommendations for accommodation with preferably separate bedroom. Close to main attractions and shops as possible. Star rating isn’t a issue as long as its clean. Hotel, apartment etc etc. Thanks in advance everyone!!

11 replies to this topic
Australia
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Bargain Travel, Holiday Travel, Singapore
Level Contributor
26,523 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accommodation 22- 26 Oct recommendations

Hello,

Booking private apartment rentals via sites like Airbnb or Tripadvisor is illegal for stays of under 3 months so that’s not an option.

Serviced apartments are legal and sometimes have a minimum 7 night stay, though some can be booked for a minimum of 2 nights. They would have separate living area, kitchenette as well as the bedroom and bathroom.

Hotels generally don’t have a separate bedroom and separate living room area, unless you booked an expensive Suite.

It’s easier for us all if you specify a budget figure per room per night in local currency Singapore dollars SGD$ by looking on a currency converter website. Otherwise we may mention lots of places and then find out your budget may only get a tiny basic hotel room. Then we all need to start again. So, have a quick look on a currency converter website and convert a nightly figure into SGD$ and let us know. Then we can all recommend some.

Geraldton, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accommodation 22- 26 Oct recommendations

Thanks for your reply. My budget is a low of $140 to a high of $240 per night for a marriage couple. Feel free to ask for any further information you need. Thank you

Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,523 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accommodation 22- 26 Oct recommendations

That may be a bit low for most Serviced Apartments with separate bedroom.

A Serviced Apartment, which is well located across from Bencoolen MRT station is Somerset Bencoolen Serviced Apartments, the Deluxe one bedroom ones are 45 sq metres, bedroom is separate, the complex has a small rooftop pool, light breakfast is usually included in most deals. The decor is a bit dated 1980s era. But the location is fantastic. It can be booked for a minimum of 2 nights, so if your stay is 4 nights you could see what prices come up. I got it recently by booking on Expedia for AU$137 / SGD$138.45 a night for just myself travelling alone for early next year. Here’s its reviews and photos page -

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Hotel_Review-…

I’ll try and think of some others, or hotel rooms offering a bit more space.

Geraldton, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accommodation 22- 26 Oct recommendations

Thanks for the awesome feedback everyone. Great to hear of everyone’s personal experience. I have booked Robinsons Suites there. I will rate them after the stay there.

Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,523 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accommodation 22- 26 Oct recommendations

Oh, I think what you have booked is actually a private rental/an apartment in a condo, and those are ILLEGAL to book for periods of less than 3 months. There are housing laws in Singapore and people can’t rent out their apartments to tourists for a few days.

I did mention private apartment rentals are illegal for short stays in my first reply to you above but I only mentioned booking them through Airbnb and TripAdvisor so that may have confused you.

Which website did you book it on? Even private ones you see on booking.com and other sites would be illegal.

I will ask a couole or other forum regulars about that condo and see if they have more information. If it’s an illegal private rental you should cancel it and demand a full refund and mention the laws. Or hopefully you booked it with a free Cancellation period.

When I gather more information I’ll post back here.

Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,523 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accommodation 22- 26 Oct recommendations

Please click open the “WARNING - Private Apartment Rental” link we have in our forums Top Questions section (if you are on the full Tripadvisor website and not the limited APP you can see Top Questions section at the top righ-hand side of this forums page). Click the topic Accommodation Warning heading open and several topics will appear for you to read through.

We placed them there so tourists wouldn’t get caught booking these private rentals.

7. Re: Accommodation 22- 26 Oct recommendations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 06 August 2018, 07:25
Edited: 06 August 2018, 07:25

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
12,444 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Accommodation 22- 26 Oct recommendations

Yes, it looks like Robinson Suites is a private apartment and hence cannot rent out legally for under 3 months. You have to be careful even when checking options on Booking.com and Agoda.com as they now allow listings of private apartments and it is up to the property owners/listers to ensure they abide by local regulations.

Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
10,161 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Accommodation 22- 26 Oct recommendations

Robinson Suites is a private condominium development and cannot be rented out on a short term period of less than 3 months. OP please heed the Warning mentioned in Post #6.

Geraldton, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Accommodation 22- 26 Oct recommendations

Thanks everyone for the warnings, much appreciated and heeded! Looking at other places

Reply to: Accommodation 22- 26 Oct recommendations
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted