We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flag laws....

Sunderland, United...
Level Contributor
373 posts
30 reviews
Flag laws....

When I travel to different countries I like to have a picture taken next to specific landmarks holding my Union Jack flag, I’m far from a nationalist but it’s something I like to do as a memory, for example I want to take a picture by the universal globe holding said flag.

Am I breaking any laws and do I risk the Singapore gulag just for a photo op?

9 replies to this topic
Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
13,371 posts
22 reviews
1. Re: Flag laws....

I think it is not allowed.

https://sso.agc.gov.sg/Act/NECDA1949

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
2,901 posts
281 reviews
2. Re: Flag laws....

Not allowed

Sunderland, United...
Level Contributor
373 posts
30 reviews
3. Re: Flag laws....

Oh okay, that’s a shame.

england
Level Contributor
773 posts
38 reviews
4. Re: Flag laws....

Interesting, did not know it was unlawful. I suppose you could wear a t-shirt with Union Jack flag on it to pose in front of the universal globe, don't think that would be a problem?

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
14,365 posts
10 reviews
5. Re: Flag laws....

You are allow to carry a flag / wear a flag on your shirt/ cap etc, take a picture of yourself etc. You are not allow to display a flag on a pole, or fix it to some structure where it may be seen by the general public.

Sunderland, United...
Level Contributor
373 posts
30 reviews
6. Re: Flag laws....

Ah that sounds more doable, I was literally only planning to hold it for pictures then put it away! Don’t worry locals I’m not invading your country!

glasgow
Level Contributor
257 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: Flag laws....

Alternatively you could take the short train ride to Glasgow and visit the Gallowgate area of Glasgow, or shorter ride to the Gallowgate area of Newcastle. Although i believe some local laws apply here also. For the former you should also be dressed in in union jack colors and for the latter you will need to emblazon the name of your home town on the flag

just a thought

Sunderland, United...
Level Contributor
373 posts
30 reviews
8. Re: Flag laws....

My Union Jack does have Sunderland and FTM on it so job done!

Singapore, null...
Level Contributor
221 posts
32 reviews
9. Re: Flag laws....

If for the purpose of Juz taking a socialphoto with u waving a small flag it is ok acceptable. But if u wanto wave the full flag.. u might attract attention that u don't want.

Reply to: Flag laws....
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted