We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Singaore Money - UK cash, Singapore cash, debit/credt card?

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Topic
Singaore Money - UK cash, Singapore cash, debit/credt card?

Hi we would like to travel from the UK to Singapore and was wondering what is the best way to take spending money for food, visits to tourist places etc,; UK cash, Singapore cash, debit/credt card?

Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
926 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Singaore Money - UK cash, Singapore cash, debit/credt card?

You can exchange your uk cash for Singapore dollars at Changi airport, great rates, unlike most airports. I used mainly cash and had my credit card if needed.

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Changi Airport
Changi Airport
Singapore, Singapore
Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java, Singapore
Level Contributor
61,585 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Singaore Money - UK cash, Singapore cash, debit/credt card?

EJS100, hi

The best way to spend is to be budget conscious and hunt for good deals on accommodation and airfare.

The approximate amount that you need locally is 100 SGD/ pax/ day.

Bring cash+card. All money changers in Singapore will offer you the better rate than anything you may get in the UK.

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
10,215 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Singaore Money - UK cash, Singapore cash, debit/credt card?

Don't by SGD in the UK, our rates are awful and the spread so wide that with the current plunge to 1.75SGD to the GBP you will be really paying through the nose.

Singapore's Forex industry is wide and competitive meaning narrow spreads and good prices. I use Mustafa for a benchmark to compare changers nearby (just google 'Mustafa forex Singapore', it should be the first hit). Anything close to that will be decent and the difference is small enough that you spend more time value and probably more cash value in one MRT fare hunting the best rate out. Unlike most countries the industry is competitive enough that airport changers while not the absolute best fall within the spread of rates you get in the city and so are for simplicity a more than viable option for a first change of cash. Again always compare rates to work out who is best and have an idea of Mustafa's rate in your head.

I mostly use ATMs for getting cash out (starting with the ATM airside at the airport normally), my bank charges are average for UK banks and its still very much better doing this than changing in the UK and compared to moneychangers in Singapore still acceptable given the convenience so long as I take large blocks out in one go.

Most purchases larger than about 20SGD I will go for paying by plastic for the bank rate there and convenience again.

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Luxembourg
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4,972 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Singaore Money - UK cash, Singapore cash, debit/credt card?

Hello, I bring my credit card for large expenses (e.g. hotels, ...) and cash (EUR) for small/everyday expenses (foods, transport, ...).

I always change currency in Singapore: money changers can be easily found in the city, they don't charge fees and the rates are competitive.

Carrying some cash with you would be useful for taxis, food/hawker centres.

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,327 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Singaore Money - UK cash, Singapore cash, debit/credt card?

Hi,

I think that everyone has their own personal preference for how they arrange their money. What has worked for me for many years when travelling to several Asian countries is to make cash my main money source and to take two credit cards as back ups.

I take two cards in case one gets lost, stolen, or eaten up by the ATM. I use one of the credit cards to pay for my accommodation at the end of my trip. I don't expect to use them for anything else, preferring to use cash instead. In saying that, though, these days I don't buy high end, expensive goods or eat at very expensive restaurants where a credit card would come in handy as a means of payment.

I change a few hundred dollars at the airport so I can pay for the taxi and to keep me going until I get settled. I place the bulk of my cash in my room safe along with one of the credit cards and then change cash at money changers as I go along.

Each day, in my purse, I only carry on me what cash I think I might require for the day plus I stash a little extra in my pocket for use in an emergency (i.e. taxi fare back to hotel in the event purse is lost or stolen). I also take one of the credit cards with me because I always split them up for safety's sake.

I know that some people might think that all this organisation and security is a bit of overkill, particularly considering Singapore is so safe compared to a lot of other destinations, however it has worked for me so far, so as the saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"!

Have a great trip!

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Singaore Money - UK cash, Singapore cash, debit/credt card?

Thank you all very much for your helpful advice. I think that cash and a couple of cards seems to be the way forward.

Thank you.

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java, Singapore
Level Contributor
61,585 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Singaore Money - UK cash, Singapore cash, debit/credt card?

You are most welcome.

8. Re: Singaore Money - UK cash, Singapore cash, debit/credt card?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2017, 09:47