We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Passport expiring date

Indonesia
Level Contributor
21 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Passport expiring date

Hello friends....

Need help. I am presently assigned outside of my country. I plan to go direct from my overseas assignment to Singapore for New Year celebration ( I will stay 29 dec - 01 jan). I have made my flight and hotel booking. Later I realize that my passport will be expired on June 10, 2010. It means less than six months when I enter Singapore.

Will it be problem for me to enter Singapore?

Thank you all for your kind response.

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
12,505 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Passport expiring date

If it is picked up by the immigration officer you are most likely to be turned away. As most passports are machine readable these days, I am sure the expiry date will automatically be flagged up by their computer. I would get a new passport or extension from the local consulate.

North Yorkshire...
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
4,626 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Passport expiring date

What Manksters says, get a new passport or you WILL almost certainly be turned away from Singapore on the next plane out. Singaporeans, lovely as they are, go by the book, it's what makes them the efficient people they are. Alan.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,077 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Passport expiring date

Don't worry. It is usually ok... as you will issued only a 30-day tourist visa on arrival at the airport and a 14-day tourist visa if you enter by road from JB, Malaysia. Anyway, Indonesia is part of ASEAN countries.... usually no problem. A friend's friend arrived last week from JKT with a 4-months validity left on her passport.

Edited: 18 December 2009, 14:47
Indonesia
Level Contributor
21 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Passport expiring date

Guys, thanks so much from your response.

@Kevin-sg, it is a big release for me if it won't be a problem. I just change my plan to enter from Batam since my middle east client asked me to accompany him to batam to see one of his suppliers on 28 December.

I have already tried to renew my passport but my consulate in country where I am now, the person in charge will only be available on wednesday 23 Dec next week, while in the same day I am going to fly to Dubai and meet my middle east client to fly together to Jakarta on 26 and continue to Batam on 28 Dec. Schedule is not really suitable but I really miss new year in Singapore and bak kut teh.... :)

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
12,505 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Passport expiring date

I know that it no longer applies as you no coming to Singapore, but if you were you may find that your airline wont allow you aboard the plane if your passport has not enough validity for the country you are travelling to. This because the airline will get fined as well as being responsible for returning the passenger if they let you fly without a visa, valid passport, name spelt differently on passport etc....

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,077 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Passport expiring date

...just my opinion...

it will not be that much of an issue for Singapore... but if you are heading to Europe, US, Australia... they are more strict and usually asks more questions... well... if you can have a new passport it will be all the better... but as you are travelling next week you won't be able to get a new passport ready... don't get sleepless nites as I don't believe it is a major problem. However, you must have your onward travel airtickets on hand to show your intended departure plans, when asked.

If you come from Batam, you will get a 14-day tourist visa.

Indonesia
Level Contributor
21 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Passport expiring date

Manksters. My plan to visit Singapore is still on. I just change my route, first I plan to fly direct from Dubai to Singapore but I will enter Singapore through Batam.

I just remember when I flew to Malaysia from Surabaya on 2005, I used passport with expiring date less than six months and it was OK. What I worry about is Singapore usually is too strict.

Indonesia
Level Contributor
21 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Passport expiring date

Kevin-sg, thanks once again. Yes I feel worried for several days for not be able to enter Singapore, while hotel I have paid fully. Airline ticket I can easily change because it is open for one year.

I believe what you said is right because I had similar experience when visiting Malaysia on 2005. And especially recent days Singapore made huge promotion in Indonesia for Holiday season during x'mas and new year, my friends just told me. I just got mails from my friends and we made appointment to meet in singapore during new year. Hope the situation will be as good as I expected.

Rgds

North Yorkshire...
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
4,626 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Passport expiring date

POrtfOliO, how long are Indonesian passports valid for?, Ours in the UK have ten years. I don't understand why a passport that ran out in 2005, would do so again in 2010, Have I misunderstood you ? I am quite old, so clearly I've lost the plot. Alan.

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
7,544 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Passport expiring date

In the UK this can happen if you get your first passport under a certain age, they last five years and can be renewed to the 10 years of a standard passport.