We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chinese (Lunar) New Year

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
50 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Chinese (Lunar) New Year

I am planning a cruise from Singapore to Shanghai that arrives two days before CNY 2019. I am looking to extend my stay for up to a week to experience CNY. I am well aware that CNY is primarily a time when younger generations visit older generations and exchange gifts and money and that this spans two to three weeks. Many cities also have several events such as parades, fireworks, lanterns, and other celebrations. I'm trying to decide where I can experience the most events in the fewest number of days. Options might be staying in Shanghai (but I don't think they have a fireworks display), heading to Hong Kong, going back to Singapore, or ???. Can anyone provide input on where I can experience the most celebratory events in a short timespan?

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Shanghai
Shanghai
Shanghai Region, China
2 replies to this topic
Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
11,358 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chinese (Lunar) New Year

I see you have posted also in the China and HK forums. I can only comment on Singapore.

There is a Chinatown-wide street light up with displays of thousands of handcrafted lanterns that last for about 7 weeks. The anticipation is tangible in the run up to the start CNY with night stage shows at Kreta Ayer Square and a festive street bazaar that straddles Pagoda Street, Smith Street, Temple Street, Sago Street and Trengganu Street. The bazaar runs till the last hour of the eve of CNY and the price of any remaining stocks of CNY goodies will be slashed so the vendors can pack up and go home to celebrate CNY. The countdown party takes place at New Bridge Road and Eu Tong Sen Street and there will be live music performances, fireworks and firecrackers.

The first 2 days of CNY are public holidays (most people go back to work on the third day with the exception of independent hawker stalls which may take longer breaks) and are quieter as some shops and food stalls are closed but all tourist attractions remain open. Gardens By The Bay will celebrate CNY and the advent of Spring in its Flower Dome with dahlia and begonia blooms. There are lion and/or dragon dance performances at major tourist attractions and various malls. River Hongbao has fireworks every night from 2 days prior to CNY to the first Sat/Sun following CNY.

The dates of Chingay 2019 have not been announced but are likely to be on 15-16 Feb. 2019 marks Singapore Bicentennial (based on the year that Sir Stamford Raffles landed in Singapore) and Chingay is one of the main events which will reflect on Singapore's journey and evolution over the past 200 years. It is a ticketed event at F1 Pit with elaborate floats and stage performances.

Edited: 07 June 2018, 07:42
Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Chinatown
Chinatown
11,353 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
Gardens by the Bay
47,077 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
Flower Dome
Flower Dome
5,368 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
Raffles Hotel Singapore
Raffles Hotel Singapore
4,302 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
California
Level Contributor
2,651 posts
268 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chinese (Lunar) New Year

You are best off in Singapore. In China, including Shanghai, there will be mass travel. In Hong Kong similar travel but a decidedly Cantonese flavor. Singapore is more diverse ....a diversity of origin points for ethnic Chinese and of course ethnic groups which do not celebrate the Lunar New Year except as a public holiday....Singapore tries to balance the holidays of importance to its ethnic groups.

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Shanghai
Shanghai
Shanghai Region, China
Reply to: Chinese (Lunar) New Year
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;