We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yolanda / Haiyan: To fly or not to fly to Boracay today? :)

Vilnius
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Yolanda / Haiyan: To fly or not to fly to Boracay today? :)

Context:

- Me and my significant other have just finished diving in Busuanga and are scheduled to fly to Boracay via Manila today (Nov 7, 2013).

- Yolanda / Haiyan super typhoon is scheduled to arrive in Boracay tomorrow (Friday)

- We have booked The District Boracay Hotel for Nov 7-12, were about to fly back to Manila in the morning on Nov 12 and then to Europe that same afternoon.

- The District Boracay Hotel, while seemingly a reliable concrete structure, is right on the beach near Station 2.

Sooo I'm wondering: while we do like to watch extreme weather, a super typhoon is something the effects of which we cannot really imagine well. One could say we are curious but not suicidal.

Should we...

(A) still go to Boracay and and sit it all out at The District Boracay AND expect some normalcy by, say, Sunday AND expect to be able to fly back to Manila on Tuesday Nov 12, ...or is this pure insanity and we should...

(B) forget Boracay for the next week because of Yolanda and stay in Metro Manila, watching the typhoon from some high-rise hotel (Hyatt Regency comes to mind ;) )...

(C) ...or better yet, do a hop to, say, Singapore or Malaysia (inexpensive tickets still available for tomorrow afternoon) while we still can and continue our vacation there?

(D) Staying in Busuanga (which will also be hit by Yolanda) is also an option - at least the very new Busuanga Bay Lodge hotel here is quite high up and definitely won't get flooded.

I'm pretty certain we would lose our prepaid booking at The District Boracay Hotel with no refund if we choose B, C or D - quite substantial monetary loss, oh well - but then again, if Boracay is likely to become a real disaster zone for a week or two after this Friday, there may be little sense in clinging to the said booking.

Dear Boracay locals and experts - am I being too cautious here? What would you advise? Thanks in advance!

Boracay, Philippines
Level Contributor
4 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yolanda / Haiyan: To fly or not to fly to Boracay today? :)

The weather is ok for now, but could be dicey by Friday. I would go ahead and make the trip. You will be safe at the District. Caruso has the cheapest cold beers around with San Mig products at only 39p all day long.

Even if things get bad, you should still not have any issues traveling or making your flight, as your travel dates should be after the storm passes.

Boracay, Philippines
Level Contributor
4 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yolanda / Haiyan: To fly or not to fly to Boracay today? :)

The weather is ok for now, but could be dicey by Friday. I would go ahead and make the trip. You will be safe at the District. Caruso has the cheapest cold beers around with San Mig products at only 39p all day long.

Even if things get bad, you should still not have any issues traveling or making your flight, as your travel dates should be after the storm passes.

Manila, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
6,061 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yolanda / Haiyan: To fly or not to fly to Boracay today? :)

Looks like Boracay and Coron are both on the path of the super typhoon.

Basel
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Yolanda / Haiyan: To fly or not to fly to Boracay today? :)

Wevare in boracay right now, and i am getting crazy of this typhoon bcause im so scared... Which signal is to expect here in Boracay? Is it that dangerous like in samar leyte ... ?

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yolanda / Haiyan: To fly or not to fly to Boracay today? :)

I'm meant to fly in next Tuesday and stay for a week.... is it worth still going or should we be looking at cancelling our trip??

I was hoping for a relaxing holiday on the beach as a special trip with my sister!

Edited: 07 November 2013, 07:07
Manila, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
6,061 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Yolanda / Haiyan: To fly or not to fly to Boracay today? :)

Typhoon should be gone by next Tuesday but no one knows how the typhoon will affect Boracay.

There was a big typhoon that passed Manila before but I didn't even feel it.

http://maybagyo.com/activetrack.gif

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Yolanda / Haiyan: To fly or not to fly to Boracay today? :)

I guess I will make the decision on Sunday or Monday and see what the Australian Government advises.

What a shame, I feel for all the people there and hope everyone is safe. Also hope I get to have a beautiful holiday still and enjoy some Filipino culture!

Mandaluyong...
Destination Expert
for Manila
Level Contributor
3,519 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Yolanda / Haiyan: To fly or not to fly to Boracay today? :)

Yes wait for your government to give advice.Since when do politicians know anything?

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Yolanda / Haiyan: To fly or not to fly to Boracay today? :)

If I travel against government advice, I am not covered by Travel Insurance.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,428 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Yolanda / Haiyan: To fly or not to fly to Boracay today? :)

KayElle7, In that case you should not travel to Philippines, as your government usually has all kinds of warnings for travel here

Do not go to Boracay today.